Running of the Bulls.

Darktooth

A bunch of great finds, HOWEVER, I am going to have to scold JCBSHARK for letting you in there!!! I am to visit the area next week and now you have cleaned it out. He will just have to take me to a different honey hole. Isn't sifting a refreshing change to swinging a sledge hammer?? I have the same "issue" with TSA, except the agents are more interested in the fossil aspect of my luggage than whether there is something dangerous. It is fun seeing the surprise on their faces when they understand what exists in their own back yard. Again, a wonderful bunch of fossils, and as I have always said, a wonderful guide, typical of MANY fossil freaks in Florida. Always helpful to us sledge wielding Northerners.

Mike

4 hours ago, Kane said:

What an incredible day (or half day, making this volume of finds even more impressive!). Although the aim was the teeth, I'd have to say this one would occupy pride of place in the collection had I found it. Even finding a modern shell this large without the benefit of deep diving is noteworthy. 2019 is shaping up to be your year, Dave. :fistbump:

I agree that the shells are very worthy. I have so many that I will have to make a display just for them alone.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

3 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

A bunch of great finds, HOWEVER, I am going to have to scold JCBSHARK for letting you in there!!! I am to visit the area next week and now you have cleaned it out. He will just have to take me to a different honey hole. Isn't sifting a refreshing change to swinging a sledge hammer?? I have the same "issue" with TSA, except the agents are more interested in the fossil aspect of my luggage than whether there is something dangerous. It is fun seeing the surprise on their faces when they understand what exists in their own back yard. Again, a wonderful bunch of fossils, and as I have always said, a wonderful guide, typical of MANY fossil freaks in Florida. Always helpful to us sledge wielding Northerners.

Mike

Don't worry Mike, I don't think the site is wiped out yet.:D Actually we concentrated efforts on one area most of the time we were there. Good luck to you on your trip. I am sure you will do well.

@minnbuckeye I do enjoy the ease of sifting, as opposed  to swinging a hammer to bust rock. Not quite as strenuous, but it can mess with your back after long periods. That being said, I am looking forward to busting some rock to find some Dipleuras real soon!:D

Tragic update! I have somehow misplaced that wonderful little gator tooth! I have searched all over the house and it's gone! :(

48 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Tragic update! I have somehow misplaced that wonderful little gator tooth! I have searched all over the house and it's gone! :(

I recently found a gator tooth tip in the dryer after doing a load of laundry. Hahaha. Maybe check your pockets.

Hopefully, it will turn up somewhere--retrace your steps since last you photographed it.

:fingerscrossed:

If it has gone back into the fossil witness protection program, there are plenty more down here in Florida. Come on back down and we'll find some more.

Cheers.

-Ken

1 hour ago, cavemanfl said:

I recently found a gator tooth tip in the dryer after doing a load of laundry. Hahaha. Maybe check your pockets.

Lol! I have checked everywhere I can think of. This is driving me nuts!:headscratch:

32 minutes ago, digit said:

Hopefully, it will turn up somewhere--retrace your steps since last you photographed it.

:fingerscrossed:

If it has gone back into the fossil witness protection program, there are plenty more down here in Florida. Come on back down and we'll find some more.

Cheers.

-Ken

I am already in the works on the next trip. I am trying to convince the wife on a Kayak trip down the Peace.

2 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Very sorry to hear this. :(

Hopefully, it'll turn up where you least expect it. :fingerscrossed:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

29 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Very sorry to hear this. :(

Hopefully, it'll turn up where you least expect it. :fingerscrossed:

Thanks Adam, Well the same thing happened recently with a 1941 Mercury Head Dime that I found  a couple months ago. I put it on top of my curio cabinet the day I found it. I went back for it a couple days later and it was gone. I looked everywhere and couldn't find it. A couple weeks go by and my youngest  son finds it on the floor under the cabinet. I hope I have the same look with this tooth. Atleast I still have plenty of other goodies from the trip. But I really hate when I misplace items.

20190313_220318.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

On 3/10/2019 at 5:27 PM, digit said:

We have not yet determined the precise age that is producing the black phosphatized shark teeth (an other fossils) but we suspect that they are likely Plio-Pleistocene as well. We did find one 3-toed horse tooth at the site so we know it does reach back into the Miocene but the bulk is likely more recent.

Eocene age shell material from Florida is known mostly from shell casts and steinkerns. Only the shells with a calcitic calcium carbonate composition (as opposed to aragonitic) survive intact from that time period--mostly oyster, scallop an echinoderm tests.

Cheers.

-Ken

Hi Ken,

Three genera of 3-toed horse survived into the Pliocene (Cormohipparion, Pseudhipparion, and Nannipus) so it's possible the horse tooth is that age as well.  You would need to show the tooth to a horse collector/researcher to find out if it's one of the Pliocene species.

Jess.

On 3/11/2019 at 9:15 AM, Darktooth said:

I agree that the shells are very worthy. I have so many that I will have to make a display just for them alone.

A friend found a large box of those that he collected from that area years ago.  I prepped them for him last year.  Those are great association pieces (shells inside of shells).

Jess

5 hours ago, siteseer said:

Three genera of 3-toed horse survived into the Pliocene (Cormohipparion, Pseudhipparion, and Nannipus) so it's possible the horse tooth is that age as well.  You would need to show the tooth to a horse collector/researcher to find out if it's one of the Pliocene species.

Indeed. The 3-toed species I've found in the Peace River is Pseudhipparion skinneri (identified by Dr. Hulbert who described this species and knows it well). :) These come from the Hemphillian North American Stage (Tortonian of the Late Miocene through Zanclean of the Early Pliocene) roughly 10.3-4.9 mya.

Cheers.

-Ken

9 hours ago, Wolf89 said:

@digit what is the biggest cookie cutter tooth you've ever found/seen/heard of?

About 5 mm across (1/5") if I remember correctly is about the widest they get.

Cheers.

-Ken

I call this trip, the one that keeps on giving. Today I searched through between 6-7 cups of micro matrix today. I found a gar scale, ray plates, bivalves, and sharkteeth. The one tooth that I really wanted to find, the elusive Cookie Cutter was just that, ELUSIVE. I did not want to give up, and my diligence was rewarded.:yay-smiley-1:Cookie Cutter #2 @digit

20190316_203137.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

3 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

I call this trip, the one that keeps on giving. Today I searched through between 6-7 cups of micro matrix today. I found a gar scale, ray plates, bivalves, and sharkteeth. The one tooth that I really wanted to find, the elusive Cookie Cutter was just that, ELUSIVE. I did not want to give up, and my diligence was rewarded.:yay-smiley-1:Cookie Cutter #2

Jolly good show, sir! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

3 hours ago, ynot said:

A nice dark tooth for a darktoothed pirate.

Funny you should mention that. Thee Captain shall be makin' a return Me thinks. Rather soon!

5 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Thee Captain shall be makin' a return Me thinks. Rather soon!

Argh--we be awatin' the return o the Capt'n.... :P

(Time to get our silly fake pirate's accents warmed up again?)

Cheers.

-Ken

11 minutes ago, digit said:

Argh--we be awatin' the return o the Capt'n.... :P

(Time to get our silly fake pirate's accents warmed up again?)

Cheers.

-Ken

Aaarrrrrr! Ye best be practicin'. Best to make thee Captain proud!

Congratulations Dave. Looks like you made out like a bandit. Those shells are especially impressive. Love to see them cleaned up and displayed.