Theoretical question

snakebite6769

Okay, say you are in a special area and in that area there are numerous fossils. The local museum and collectors have numerous specimens in their collections but you are visiting and find something awesome! You contact the local museum, let them know you had found something and let the property owner know. You allow the museum to know you are more than willing to help if they will allow you to assist them in their retrieval efforts. 

What is the likelihood they will contact the finder, and what is the likelihood they will allow you to help? They do need volunteers ...

It would depend on what the fossil is and where it was found. There are a whole bunch of laws and rules surrounding fossils that make it very hard to predict how people will react. It also depends on which museum was contacted. Some are receptive to volunteer help but others only want professionals. The value of whatever specimen was found will also play a role in determining if the museum contacts the finder. 

If the museum needs volunteers, I think they would allow you to help. 

1 hour ago, snakebite6769 said:

Okay, say you are in a special area and in that area there are numerous fossils. The local museum and collectors have numerous specimens in their collections but you are visiting and find something awesome! You contact the local museum, let them know you had found something and let the property owner know. You allow the museum to know you are more than willing to help if they will allow you to assist them in their retrieval efforts. 

What is the likelihood they will contact the finder, and what is the likelihood they will allow you to help? They do need volunteers ...

If it involves the Calvert Marine Museum 100%.

Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 12.12.00 AM.png

It is Calvert Marine museum, and I found a baleen Whale fossil yesterday morning. I’m sure they have many of them and I had permission from the land owner to remove it. But it’s too much for me so I contacted the museum about it. It has been a dream of mine since childhood to be into paleontology and go on a dig. I hope they call me back and nobody destroys the specimen before we can make arrangements to have it excavated. There is also a sea turtle sticking out near by. Was an exceptional day for me! 

• I found this Informative 2

That is definitely an exceptional day! Congratulations on making some incredible finds, and planning to go about their extraction "by the book." It does look favourable that you'll get to live that dream of being part of a dig. Hopefully you'll take us along, at least virtually. :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

As long as they return my call then I will surely add to the forum the full dig :) 

As a museum professional (exhibit design and management) I would say money, which also equals time, as the number one factor. Even having a boat load of volunteers you still have to manage the effort and then you need supplies and lastly a place to put it. 

• I found this Informative 1

On 3/11/2019 at 3:47 PM, snakebite6769 said:

As long as they return my call then I will surely add to the forum the full dig :) 

19 minutes ago, jpc said:

I hope they are interested....  

If they are not interested then perhaps @Boesse will be.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Oh man, if a collector tips us off to a scientifically significant find we want to excavate, we invite the collector to help out every time - and each time we've done that they always come along. They get to have a blast, we nickname the individual specimen after them, and we get some help excavating. It's very symbiotic here.

• I found this Informative 5

This is very exciting.  Every once in a while you make an overwhelming  find, then logistics and timing overtake every waking moment for a while.  It’s a delightful problem to have, and a story the grandkids will hear for decades.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

21 hours ago, Boesse said:

Oh man, if a collector tips us off to a scientifically significant find we want to excavate, we invite the collector to help out every time - and each time we've done that they always come along. They get to have a blast, we nickname the individual specimen after them, and we get some help excavating. It's very symbiotic here.

Where do you collect your specimens?