The Dino Program has landed- our first fossil education program

fossilsonwheels

We just wrapped up our first official fossil education program and it was AWESOME !! I let my son miss his last two classes of the day so we could do our first program together. We talked about how fossils are formed. We showed the kids some awesome fish fossils, our 5 inch Meg and some big whale fossils. Most of the program was about dinosaurs and we covered quite a bit of ground. The kids got to touch and feel Trike frill pieces. They saw T-Rex teeth and raptor teeth. We showed them fossils from a Titanosaur and Spinosaurs. We introduced them to Ornithiomimid dinosaurs and they learned about an Anky named Zuul. We wrapped our hour long program by giving 35 2nd grade students free fossil starter kits which was the highlight of the day.

To all who have donated fossils, passed on knowledge and encouraged us....THANK YOU. All of the donations and support are putting fossils into the hands of kids and spreading natural history education. My favorite part was having Carter there with me. This is a fantastic start for us and it appears the future is very bright for Fossils on Wheels. All of the hard work we have put in is absolutely worth it and the faces of the kids at the end of the hour reflected that.

:)

• I found this Informative 9

Any photos?:popcorn::D

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I'm very happy for you. 

This sounds like a tremendous success. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

26 minutes ago, fossilsonwheels said:

absolutely worth it and the faces of the kids at the end of the hour reflected that.

You betcha!  Congratulations on your new journey. Your program sounds wonderful.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

20 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Any photos?:popcorn::D

We did not do photo releases but I do have a heavily cropped photo. Had to make sure no kid faces were shown but this is a small photo from today.

IMG_0601-1.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

13 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I'm very happy for you. 

This sounds like a tremendous success. :)

Thank you !! It was very successful and we can not wait to do our first Shark programs on Wednesday.

1 minute ago, Pagurus said:

You betcha!  Congratulations on your new journey. Your program sounds wonderful.

Thank you very much. We did good work today and the kiddos were a lot of fun.

Congratulations glad it went well, dino's are always a hit and you made it even better for the kids with all your goodies.  You deserve a real pat on the back for the effort you've undertaken this endeavor.  Next one Photos...more of them...

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Darktooth said:

Glad to hear the program was a success!:yay-smiley-1:

Thank you !!

1 hour ago, Bobby Rico said:

Congratulations and it sounded like real educational fun.  :yay-smiley-1:

Thank you very much !!

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

Congratulations glad it went well, dino's are always a hit and you made it even better for the kids with all your goodies.  You deserve a real pat on the back for the effort you've undertaken this endeavor.  Next one Photos...more of them...

Yes we will have more photos in the future. We will probably do some classes with photo release forms so we can get better pictures to use. Thank you very much. The kids really loved the Struthiomimus toe ! They had never heard of that dinosaur before so it was popular :)

I also want to add a bit of science to this thread. In a very scientific experiment, we determined that T-Rex is still the king of dinosaurs. The 2nd graders have spoken and that is science at work lol Our T-Rex teeth got the most jaw dropping reaction. It was hushed awe. Easily the most interesting fossil to the kids. Not even a close second. Thank you @Troodon for making that possible !  

I also have to adjust the future budget a bit because more Tyrannosaurid fossils will be needed. I can think of worse problems to have than that :)

Wonderful to hear and yes there is something about the Tyrannosaurid family which resonates with kids, and many people for that matter.

Edited by CBchiefski
Typo

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2019 at 8:48 PM, CBchiefski said:

Wonderful to hear and yes there is something about the Tyrannosaurid family which resonates with kids, and many people for that matter.

There really is something aobut Tyrannosaurs that resonate with people. Trikes were also a big hit. Thank you !