Caspersen Beach Fossils

Bguild

Hey there,

A friend of mine recently came back from Caspersen Beach in Florida with a handful of shark teeth and random chunks of bone found along the beach. Having never been to the area myself, it’s my understanding that fossils wash ashore that are Miocene and Pliocene in age. I was able to ID a number of her finds, but there are these two similar looking chunks that I’m hung up on. They almost look like worn horse teeth. Can anyone ID these beyond the chunks that they are?

Thanks as always!

45097702-699E-4A48-8E92-5467F3D9F77E.thumb.jpeg.530fd940e7e4f1999c7ad1f9bd17ddac.jpeg

DE35479D-6820-47EE-9DF7-B75018FF1CB2.thumb.jpeg.103213aabc39f66a65b60fa4df233a1e.jpeg

They look to be slivers of bone, not teeth.

You will be hard pressed to get much of an ID beyond that.

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I believe they're either worn bits of bone or possibly (the fossil on the right) a worn stingray spine.

13 minutes ago, caldigger said:

They look to be slivers of bone, not teeth.

You will be hard pressed to get much of an ID beyond that.

1 minute ago, PaleoNoel said:

I believe they're either worn bits of bone or possibly (the fossil on the right) a worn stingray spine.

I am fairly certain they are both worn slivers of ray barbs/tail spines...a common find from that beach...

I'm still looking for a complete one...I've got a picture of some of them for comparison somewhere that will show how the darn things get pretty obliterated in the surf/sand...darn them! If I find it I'll add to the post.

Regards, Chris 

• I found this Informative 2

49 minutes ago, Bguild said:

Very cool, thanks for the tips :)

Well, I dont know where the Casperson shots are so here's a view of some terrestrial fragments that are less worn showing the longitudinal grooves and the serrated edges and a 2nd shot of some more beach worn samples similar to both of yours from just up the coast from Manasota Beach...

5c8711ae07462_SarasotaCountyTerrestrialraybarbfragments.thumb.jpg.4120d9c06836f8a50cbca5fb8ec843ee.jpg

5c8711ab01fd7_ManasotaKeybeachraybarbfragments.thumb.jpg.db840b1fcf58a44f9f0404321b861e05.jpg

Continued hunting success...

Regards, Chris 

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Plantguy said:

Well, I dont know where the Casperson shots are so here's a view of some terrestrial fragments that are less worn showing the longitudinal grooves and the serrated edges and a 2nd shot of some more beach worn samples similar to both of yours from just up the coast from Manasota Beach...

5c8711ae07462_SarasotaCountyTerrestrialraybarbfragments.thumb.jpg.4120d9c06836f8a50cbca5fb8ec843ee.jpg

5c8711ab01fd7_ManasotaKeybeachraybarbfragments.thumb.jpg.db840b1fcf58a44f9f0404321b861e05.jpg

Continued hunting success...

Regards, Chris 

Definitely looks familia. Just nice and worn:D.  Thanks!