Still_human

Can anyone please help me find any pictures of pappocetus skulls? There's only one diagram of a lower jaw that I can find, and one site says that it's known from the that type specimen/mandible, and they generally specify if something is known from many specimens. was pappocetus ONLY known from the type specimen? Now the same person, has found a second mandible, I believe, but that's all the mention of any pappocetus fossils found, that I can find mention of anywhere.

• I found this Informative 1

While deferring to the known experts, permit me to say that bits of the appendicular skeleton of P. are known

As far as I am aware (and for what that is worth), there are no cranial remains found other than molars.

image below from:

A Description of New Species of Zeuglododont and of
Leathery Turtle from the Eocene of Southern Nigeria.
By C. W. Andrews, D.Sc, F.R.S.

(Proc.Zool.Soc.Lond/1919)

426px-Chaaaunangium.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

On 3/12/2019 at 7:35 AM, doushantuo said:

While deferring to the known experts, permit me to say that bits of the appendicular skeleton of P. are known

As far as I am aware (and for what that is worth), there are no cranial remains found other than molars.

image below from:

A Description of New Species of Zeuglododont and of
Leathery Turtle from the Eocene of Southern Nigeria.
By C. W. Andrews, D.Sc, F.R.S.

(Proc.Zool.Soc.Lond/1919)

426px-Chaaaunangium.jpg

Yes, that's the only image I can come across anywhere, and I was unable to find any information about anything more than what is included there, other than a second left mandible and a few more assorted teeth&sockets, of which I can't find any images of(by the same individual who discovered the first), being known.

is that top left image in the picture a partial vertebra or something? You mentioned a piece of appendicular skeleton, and upon looking closer, to me it DOES look like something other than mandible and teeth(thank you, I never noticed that until you just brought it up), but I'm still not seeing anything other than mandible and teeth/teeth&sockets being listed as part of the finds(including the find from the image, the type specimen BMNH M11414, which does look like it includes something other), so I'm at a loss there. 

https://everipedia.org/wiki/lang_en/Pappocetus/

*this is the same, and all the info Ive been able to come across from anywhere else.

On 3/15/2019 at 10:52 AM, doushantuo said:

i've been remiss somewhat

below:

pappocetusferalannelvermehnolbsgftoget1193.gif

Is it just me, or does that not resemble the previous pappocetus mandible image, at all? I know fossils commonly get distorted, but based on the pretty natural appearance of the top surface of the mandible in the first images posted on here, doesn't it seem like the odd bent looking shape of the bottom surface would then also be the actual shape of that mandible? It's hardly an academic observation, but a musing of what would be a very strange and significant inconsistance between the two.

8 hours ago, Still_human said:

Is it just me, or does that not resemble the previous pappocetus mandible image, at all?

The person who did the illustrations smoothed out the breaks. If you look at photos of the jaws you can see that the holotype is broken but the artist didn’t draw this break. Here are the holotype and paratype.

0DE4CB13-799C-4211-88B1-9F189A43E129.jpeg

1705C63E-D099-44E6-8E6B-C8E052193E4F.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

On 3/17/2019 at 6:22 AM, Al Dente said:

The person who did the illustrations smoothed out the breaks. If you look at photos of the jaws you can see that the holotype is broken but the artist didn’t draw this break. Here are the holotype and paratype.

0DE4CB13-799C-4211-88B1-9F189A43E129.jpeg

1705C63E-D099-44E6-8E6B-C8E052193E4F.jpeg

Awesome, thanks so much, that's incredibly helpful!