Fossils from the new guy

Steveosaurus

I'm brand new to Fossil Forum, and can't afford the big splashy wall display fossils, so my "collection" is modest, but it's a start. I have three of these fern plates from St. Clair, PA, and two diplomystus fish fossils from the Green River formation in Wyoming.

DSC01323.JPG

DSC01322.JPG

DSC01325.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

Welcome to the Forum.  :)
We all had to start somewhere. ;) 

Nice collection. 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

2 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Welcome to the Forum.  :)
We all had to start somewhere. ;) 

Nice collection. 

Thank you - my "collecting" isn't going to go much further, but I'm very interested in fossils, so I'm here to learn more and enjoy what others have to share here.

1 minute ago, Steveosaurus said:

Thank you - my "collecting" isn't going to go much further, ... 

That's too bad. :( 

Lots of good fossiling in PA. ;) 

Well, have fun using the site. :) 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

5 minutes ago, Steveosaurus said:

Thank you - my "collecting" isn't going to go much further, but I'm very interested in fossils, so I'm here to learn more and enjoy what others have to share here.

That's too bad. I was going to send you a fully articulated T-rex, but since you don't want any more fossils I guess I'll just have to donate it to the nearest thrift store. :P

• I found this Informative 1

23 minutes ago, caldigger said:

That's too bad. I was going to send you a fully articulated T-rex, but since you don't want any more fossils I guess I'll just have to donate it to the nearest thrift store. :P

I didn't say I don't want any more, I just can't afford much, so a free T-rex is right up my alley...thanks! When can you have it at my door?

Nevertheless, the few things you have are nothing to sneeze at. Going hunting yourself only costs you gas and a bit of energy on your part :) Welcome to the forum.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

1 hour ago, Steveosaurus said:

I didn't say I don't want any more, I just can't afford much.

That's why you need to go out in the field and build up a hearty collection.

The fish are nice, and the St.Clair fern very lovely, I don't think collecting is possible there anymore except for booked school trips. 

Hello, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

2 hours ago, caldigger said:

I'm a thrift store! :D

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

4 hours ago, Steveosaurus said:

NOOOOO!!!!

You have a lovely start of three lovely ones!

The fern is really beautiful. A great start to a collection. You have an good eye for acquiring nice specimens it would be a shame if you don’t use it anymore. Good photos too. 

D9514AB9-3E8D-423A-ACAF-11CDB3E79C29.jpeg

Thank you for the warm welcomes - what a cool bunch you are!

Many, many moons ago when I was in the Army in Texas, there was a lake nearby where I used to take my kids, and the surrounding area had one spot of loose exposed rock, and it was absolutely loaded with little marine-type fossils (shells, little sea urchins, etc). We never saw much of the lake...hahaha! The kids loved poking around for fossils.

Welcome to the forum from New York! Nice collection. Stick around long enough and you might just learn how to go about building a collection with your own finds. It is not that difficult.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

• 1 year later...

I posted this fossil a while back somewhere on this site, but I thought I'd add it here since it's more fitting. It's a Vinctifer Comptoni from the Santana formation in northeastern Brazil. Not a super rare fossil, but pretty unusual in how the fish doubled over on itself when it died. It's also pretty big - over 22" long, but the plate is only 11-1/2" wide due to the fish's acrobatics. I love this fossil because it's very 3D.

DSC04058a.JPG

• I found this Informative 7

3 hours ago, Steveosaurus said:

pretty unusual in how the fish doubled over on itself when it died. It's also pretty big - over 22" long, but the plate is only 11-1/2" wide due to the fish's acrobatics. I love this fossil because it's very 3D.

I like these fishes,  years ago I used to buy them to resale and flip a profit . Now they don’t come up for sale much. I have never seen an acrobatic one before , so that’s definitely  a keeper . Lovely fish 

Since starting this thread, I've also added this Neanderthal stone hand tool, which was found in northeastern Spain and was formerly part of the Philip Schupp Estate collection. It was stated that it dates from the Lower to Middle Paleolithic. It's about 5.75" long and beautifully made, and it is unbelievably comfortable in the hand - really very well crafted.

I wish I could nail down a period more specifically than just "Lower to Middle Paleolithic". I think it's better made than the earlier tools from Homo Erectus, so seems pretty apparent to me that is was indeed made by a later Neanderthal, and my guess would be more Middle than Lower Paleolithic, or even closer to Upper Paleolithic. I would call it a scraping/slicing tool, probably used in butchering and processing hides.

zzz.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

If you post the tool photos in the Artifacts area of the Member's part of the site, you should get some comments.