Bob1961

I am planning a trip in April from California to Texas on Route 66.  I would like to know if there are any recommendations for collecting fossils or general rock hounding along this trip.  Any suggestions,  recommendations,  or "don't miss" advice would be greatly appreciated. 

16 hours ago, Bob1961 said:

don't miss" advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Hello and welcome .... oh man, I love the old route 66. Between Barstow and Needles there are quite a few nice pull over spots for jasper/ agate / galena / garnet / volcanic deposits etc... lots of BLM land. You know ... if you grab a copy of Gem Trails of California the information for those areas is still fairly accurate. 

But be wary of off roading after any rain in those areas. There are spots where the hard-packed desert turns into sloppy knee deep mud. I almost got stuck trying to drive over what looked like solid earth on one trip.

Good luck.

The marble mountains are beautiful btw.. and a stop at the Trilobite wilderness is not to be missed. 

Cheers,

Brett

• I found this Informative 2

Thank you for the reply.   I have never had a chance to collect in the Southwest.  I'm totally stoked!  I'm traveling alone with no itinerary,  should be a great road trip. 

1 hour ago, Bob1961 said:

Thank you for the reply.   I have never had a chance to collect in the Southwest.  I'm totally stoked!  I'm traveling alone with no itinerary,  should be a great road trip. 

Sure ... you know what ... it looks like I had tons of sources back when I lived in California.  I just dug this out. This book was good to me as well:

Though all of this was circa (2008) so you may want to update your sources.  This book is in it's second edition now.  The areas around Ludlow/Cadiz and the Marble Mountains along etc ... is where I hunted most often.

5c897d5c2c8f1_51srl7tWMXL._SX323_BO1204203200_.jpg.2af861b38bfcbfb12f9f634bc2b47ea9.jpg

Good Luck and Have Fun !

Brett

PS. Back in the day that area, along with the little post office in Amboy was sold off as a parcel, is the cafe still there and operating I wonder ??  Let us know how you make out and share some pictures.  I have a fondness for that hole in the wall.  Oh, and did I mention bring plenty of water and a bit of food just in case?  When I used to hunt out there the cell service is spotty to non-existent so breaking down in the middle of the summer can also be a concern.

North east of Joseph city AZ is a good site for petrified wood.

The Sandia mountains east of Albuquerque NM is good for mississippian fossils.

Good luck!

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thank you,  I was hoping to pick up a showcase specimen of petrified wood.   Would rather find one rather than pulling out my wallet at the rock shop.  Since I'm driving,  I can afford to pick up some larger specimens.   I will look at the Sandia mountains as well,  maps are arriving this week. 

Mazon Creek fossils can be found in the Mazonia State Park in Illinois.  This is not far from Wilmington in IL.   April is a good time to visit that park.

Cheers,

Rich