The quarry Kromer near Holzmaden did open two weeks ago (it was closed during winter). So last Saturday I was there the first time this year and I have to say that I am kinda satisfied with my finds! I found several marine reptile teeth, some mainly incomplete bones and a fish with much potential. In this topic I want to show how I prep/prepped a plate on which originally two Ichthyosaur verts were visible. The verts are all about 4 cm big.

Here is a picture of the unprepped plate: (I have the other parts...)

1.thumb.JPG.f855b5be3ec810c82a74ca16cf5fae6c.JPG

The prep work is very difficult because the stone is extremely hard. So I have to use my air pen to remove the stone directly above the verts and then I remove the remaining thin layer with my sandblaster with about 6 bar which is probably too much for the bones but otherwise I wouldnt do any progress ...

This is the current situation:

2.JPG.01f0bce83713d065b3d421af8d222626.JPG

Until now I prepped about 4 hours and now you see that there are even more vertebrae on the plate :D At least 3 and a half....

3.thumb.JPG.e1828aae955cb5eb24b41b752a0c2e90.JPG

And here is the one which wasnt visible at first. I damaged it a bit but I think its not too bad. Hopefully the stone is a bit softer around this one:

4.thumb.JPG.d8002e5fd8f4ec5bd4d74053c09bd239.JPG

I think I have to work many hours on it so wish me luck :)

@LiamL

• I found this Informative 7

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

Sounds like very nice finds, congrats and good luck with your prep work, looks good so far. That hard stone must be a nightmare, hope you post some pics after you done. :popcorn:

:popcorn: can't wait to see this one finished :D

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Fantastic stuff, maybe next time you’re there you can take some pictures of the quarry to show us what it’s like to collect there?

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

13 hours ago, Pemphix said:

Lucky you !

Would like to see the fish and bones as well....:popcorn:

Thanks :D I will post pictures of them as soon as I can. At the moment you don't really see that the fish is a fish... It will needs much prep work and I don't think that I will do that in the near future but let's see...

12 hours ago, rebu said:

Sounds like very nice finds, congrats and good luck with your prep work, looks good so far. That hard stone must be a nightmare, hope you post some pics after you done. :popcorn:

Thank you!! And yeah the hardness of the stone is really a nightmare. Too bad this hard material is the layer were most of the bones are. 

11 hours ago, Manticocerasman said:

:popcorn: can't wait to see this one finished :D

Thanks Kevin :) I think I will some days/weeks I finished it. I ordered a stronger air pen, which should arrive at my place in about two or three weeks. Probably I will not be able to finish it before. 

9 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

I guess you have some pyrite to contend with as well? Weiterhin viel Glück!

Thanks Roger :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76: Yeah pyrite is also a problem here but what is also really annoying is a thin layer of bivalves directly above the bone material. I often don't if I am already seeing the bone or just another bivalve... 

7 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Good luck! :fingerscrossed:

Very nice so far. 

Thanks Adam :D I will need it... 

2 hours ago, LiamL said:

Fantastic stuff, maybe next time you’re there you can take some pictures of the quarry to show us what it’s like to collect there?

Thanks Liam :) I actually took a picture of the quarry. I will post it tomorrow together with the next update on the prep. 

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

6 hours ago, ynot said:

:popcorn::popcorn:

I think you will need some more popcorn Tony ;)

Here is the current state after about 6 hours ... Still a lot to do.

5.JPG.e07910c638558cdc8ea54c9783d29252.JPG

6.JPG.d12265b6bf16ad4397086e19f55703d9.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

On 14.3.2019 at 1:31 PM, ynot said:

OK.

image.jpeg.5b08bbecce7f1d5add0c7ab502072435.jpeg

Yeah that should be enough :D

I just took a little break prepping this vertebrae plate and prepped another bone plate. Here you can see it:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/93332-marine-reptile-bones-and-teeth-from-holzmaden/&tab=comments#comment-1028768

I will probably wait till I got the stronger air pen I ordered... 

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

• 5 months later...
On 14.3.2019 at 1:31 PM, ynot said:

OK.

image.jpeg.5b08bbecce7f1d5add0c7ab502072435.jpeg

So I hope you didnt eat all of them since then but here is the finished plate :D

fertig1.thumb.JPG.462b16ce90a2b5d9300509dd46bf5b53.JPG

fertig3.thumb.JPG.6c5055daf7f29a8bfe4b2741baa2377c.JPG

fertig2.thumb.JPG.0bbec48bd159c07f6fd147c8b5135d8c.JPG

fertig4.thumb.JPG.4fe5a801276533db3ac0cee37c6530f8.JPG

Its not that nice but the matrix is simply too hard for me. I will maybe continue working on it when I have some more experience but at the moment I am satisfied with result.

• I found this Informative 3

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

1 hour ago, Ludwigia said:

I wouldn't try to go much further with that. It's probably extremely pyritized, right?

I don't think the pyrite is the problem here. In Holzmaden is a layer which is extremely hard and full of small pieces of fossils. Maybe there is also pyrite involved but I really have troubles to prep bones from that layer (and I am not only the one). The problem is that this layer is the best one for marine reptile bones and teeth. 

(Einen Tod muss man ja bekanntlich sterben ;)

1 hour ago, Randyw said:

Nice work! It’s looking good

17 minutes ago, ynot said:

Looks pretty nice to Me.:thumbsu:

4 minutes ago, RuMert said:

Looks good

Thanks for the comments guys!! 

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

2 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

This one sent me to Google translate and then to an idiom search. :zzzzscratchchin:

Sorry :D
It means something like "You can't have everything." but it seems that there doesnt exist a literal translation.

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

5 hours ago, belemniten said:

Sorry :D
It means something like "You can't have everything." but it seems that there doesnt exist a literal translation.

No need to apologize. That was the general impression that I got from google. I don’t mind the search. :thumbsu:

I missed this post somehow?   I love these slabs with icthyosaur bones in them.  Always wanted to work on one but never  have.  You have done a really nice job and its now a very cool slab o rock! 

RB

8 hours ago, RJB said:

I missed this post somehow?   I love these slabs with icthyosaur bones in them.  Always wanted to work on one but never  have.  You have done a really nice job and its now a very cool slab o rock!

Thanks for the compliments Ron! 

Depending on how the find chances develop, I might be in a position (after a few years) that I can sell an unprepped bone plate. Let's see what the future brings ;)

• I found this Informative 1

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif