Baltic Sea adventure

Kasia

Last weekend I made a short trip to the Polish coast of the Baltic Sea (short because of duration, not distance - it's 1000 km to get there and come back to Warsaw :) ).

My Mom and me were professionally equipped, according to the instructions of @vermiculosis, we brought UV lamps and appropriate protective glasses, because we hoped to find some amber pieces on the shore at night. We went to look for amber after 8 pm, and it was soooo dark at the shore that we could hardly see anything - and thus please excuse the quality of the pictures, but the flash in the phone couldn't cope with the darkness around us.

Here is my Mom, professionally prepared to find amber :)

image.png.7cc4f8a12675f3b021ca18ef4d1de711.png

Although the wind was really strong and the waves quite intense, there was no "sea rubbish" on the shore to inspect for amber, but it turned out that other rocks with fossils on the breach respond quite well to the UV light, so we found quite a lot of cluster rocks with various "stuff" that lit up in the darkness.

image.png.869206d011c7794f5a29197e3265d822.png

Here are some of them in daylight :)

image.png.abfd2e1895edc5232e181f9d0d0ccce2.png

image.png.b237ab67b4d430104ced628c0a7fdb46.png

image.png.9ba56d14c82feedc7219c46c8848a013.png

image.png.e5906367b1c83a17999a1980cd299e13.png

image.png.ab58dcc2e0674e43e944453930b1274b.png

• I found this Informative 6

The next day, early morning, we went to Orzechowo, which is an adorable tiny village at the end of the road - really, the road ends in the holiday centre and then there is just sea :)

The Orzechówka River is meandering in a scenic way up to the sea:

image.png.a290dfa8c4a7a89a88126fc8bfe255c8.png

image.png.a3e5906496053127ecef98002b1b40ad.png

And the beach is full of stones - a friend of mine called this place a "supermarket of "made in Scandinavia" fossils".

Most of the rocks were dragged here all the way from the far north - most likely Sweden:

image.png.fd56a6078510d82fb25c79d15cfd6fb8.png

image.png.c7b67b7c0891239f3f4026c8a28ab007.png

image.png.c27e9ee1530c679b1634311d53092f97.png

• I found this Informative 4

image.png.2156a572fe7e9f2403a87e87b42586b8.png

image.png.6c6e2bbd4cf71f4c0015e3aa17aa931b.png

image.png.e8d14585fd35464132e2c83496ee0557.png

There were several pieces that after splitting revealed lots of micro-fossils - I will be posting them in the ID section, for sure:

image.png.66d784d7a5051b3e82d0392981b02621.png

image.png.f3ba4ec7139451179aaa48d7321357c2.png

• I found this Informative 3

image.png.9efc268ca9b439e5df90fa0b1bc79670.png

And even a couple of trilobites' heads :)

image.png.cc4f6ff5c44be5ddef35fca4e33a5cf5.png

image.png.7bd3cfa11b20e33de4464b444d0b7668.png

Afterwards we went to Mrzezino, to the gravel pit :)

image.png.16bf967ae2370c6964a97041bb8dcb7e.png

image.png.1a837795d8d28c39f6ef700614e8e6ec.png

- the owner of the place, when I was talking to him to be granted access to the place, said that he's been working there for 30 years and he has never seen any fossil, but let me enter anyway. Here's what we found :)

image.png.228c2c2b407a57c5c879c20139bbf2db.png

image.png.cf2df87f377ea18f602074985caf3a4a.png

image.png.8e2a8a03ba133b0dd1d137f24c421fc2.png

After this place we came back to Warsaw, so although we found no amber this time, we loved the places and for sure will come back for more :)

1 hour ago, Ludwigia said:

Pity you missed out on the amber, but the other stuff looks interesting at least.

I was very happy with the finds anyway - we didn't give up on amber, but it will require another attempt :)

• Enjoyed 1

Unfortunate about the amber, but i'm sure it'll turn up in the future. 

But you made some great finds at the different locations, a lovely variety of things. :wub:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

5 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Unfortunate about the amber, but i'm sure it'll turn up in the future. 

But you made some great finds at the different locations, a lovely variety of things. :wub:

It was fun anyway and a nice experience - it was the first time I was looking for fossils on the beach, not to mention the night fossil hunting. If it hadn't been for the distance, I would go and do it again this coming weekend :)

• Enjoyed 1

7 hours ago, ynot said:

No amber, but at least You found some nice fossils.

Better luck on the amber hunt next trip!

Thanks - I will definitely try again :)

7 hours ago, cavemanfl said:

Nice finds and the beach looks amazing

It does :) it is a perfect place for people, who want to have really peaceful and quiet vacation - our phones had even problem to find the network, so if someone wants to separate from the civilisation, this is the place to go.

Great report and pics! Nice finds too!:)

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

A nice "fossil-Walk" through the richness of the World of the glacial geschiebe of the southern baltic shores. Most of the fossil bearing rocks you show here belong to the uppermost silurian Beyrichia-limestones (similar rocks you can find at the Outcrops of Estonian shores). You have also some corals among your finds I would assign to the silurian reefbelt between isle of Gotland ans Estonia (scratched and dumped by the glaciers of the last ice age). All of them can contain trilobites ;)

Additionally you have found a glauconite-bearing serpulid-limestone, which are in northern poland mostly assigned to the upper jurassic (I can send you some literature about the upper jurassic of northernmost poland, if you like).

The last rock is a so called "Kelloway-Geschiebe", from the Upper Callovian. Preservation of the bivale shells can be great, even with soft tissue preservation (same offer for literature).

The rocks at the baltic sea shores cover times from 2.1 billion up to recent rocks, most diverse natural rock accumulation of the world... ;) There ist also a special geological society, only dealing with those Region and its rocks: http://www.geschiebekunde.de/

Unfortunately, most literature about this topic is in german language...

Best regards

Johannes

• I found this Informative 2

56 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Great report and pics! Nice finds too!:)

Thanks - I will post more of the finds in the Fossil ID section :)

51 minutes ago, Johannes said:

A nice "fossil-Walk" through the richness of the World of the glacial geschiebe of the southern baltic shores. Most of the fossil bearing rocks you show here belong to the uppermost silurian Beyrichia-limestones (similar rocks you can find at the Outcrops of Estonian shores). You have also some corals among your finds I would assign to the silurian reefbelt between isle of Gotland ans Estonia (scratched and dumped by the glaciers of the last ice age). All of them can contain trilobites ;)

Additionally you have found a glauconite-bearing serpulid-limestone, which are in northern poland mostly assigned to the upper jurassic (I can send you some literature about the upper jurassic of northernmost poland, if you like).

The last rock is a so called "Kelloway-Geschiebe", from the Upper Callovian. Preservation of the bivale shells can be great, even with soft tissue preservation (same offer for literature).

The rocks at the baltic sea shores cover times from 2.1 billion up to recent rocks, most diverse natural rock accumulation of the world... ;) There ist also a special geological society, only dealing with those Region and its rocks: http://www.geschiebekunde.de/

Unfortunately, most literature about this topic is in german language...

Best regards

Johannes

Thanks, I thought everything was Silurian (or older) - I wouldn't expect anything Jurassic on the sea shore, amazing.

Which specimen is the glauconite-bearing limestone?

Great report, Kasia!  It looks like you and your mom had a great time hunting for fossils together!  I especially like those little micro fossils - perhaps they're brachiopods of some sort?  Whatever they are, they are adorable! :wub:

Best of luck on your next trip out - I hope the amber reveals itself to you :fingerscrossed:

• I found this Informative 1

10 minutes ago, Monica said:

Great report, Kasia!  It looks like you and your mom had a great time hunting for fossils together!  I especially like those little micro fossils - perhaps they're brachiopods of some sort?  Whatever they are, they are adorable! :wub:

Best of luck on your next trip out - I hope the amber reveals itself to you :fingerscrossed:

Thanks - I think (and hope) the tiny creatures are ostracods and trilobites, but I will post the in the ID section to make sure.

My Mom is a saint - I'm sure none of her friends would even think of going fossil / amber hunting at this time of the year and by night :)

23 hours ago, Kasia said:

image.png.8dc464444d5237613eb409098f000a7e.png

This is the one I think it's upper Jurassic. There are similar rocks in Pommerania, which can be assigned to eocene strata, but if I remember right there are no such rocks in the basement of your area and north of it (from where the glaciers have come from.) Maybe you see some foraminifera, the eocene rocks have small Nummulites-species, looking like lentils with a diameter betw. 1 and 2 mm...

image.png.cf2df87f377ea18f602074985caf3a4a.png

image.png.8e2a8a03ba133b0dd1d137f24c421fc2.png

Those one I would assign to Middle Jurassic Strata. There are some surface outcrops in Latvia and N Lithuania. At least you need some index fossils like ammonites (which are quite rare in those rocks, unfortunately).

About the bivalves in those rocks a friend of mine did some research:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwja98-U24HhAhXFbFAKHRPqBbUQFjAGegQIBBAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.senckenberg.de%2Fodes%2F06-16%2FKoppka_et_al_Biodiversity-Jurassic.pdf&usg=AOvVaw1MSZl34QjsR2G7P1ls5r8G

There  are some other informations available, too:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwja98-U24HhAhXFbFAKHRPqBbUQFjAHegQIARAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.progeo.ngo%2Fdownloads%2FPROGEO_news_2006_4.pdf&usg=AOvVaw1qU56OQWleOp8mhZFwqfvb

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/227110027_The_Callovian_Middle_Jurassic_crinoids_from_northern_Lithuania

At least: if you find such jurassic rocks in your area, and if they contain determinatable fossils, you are very lucky!

To get an idea, what is possible, you might have a look in our Geschiebe-Gallery: https://www.steinkern.de/steinkern-de-galerie/geschiebe.html

1 hour ago, Kasia said:

Thanks - I think (and hope) the tiny creatures are ostracods and trilobites, but I will post the in the ID section to make sure.

My Mom is a saint - I'm sure none of her friends would even think of going fossil / amber hunting at this time of the year and by night :)

The tiny creatures are ostracodes, mostly belonging to Beyrichia and Nodibeyrichia. Most common is Nodibeyrichia tuberculata.

Most of the rocks originating to the uppermost silurian, but some might be lower Devonian (esp. the red version of the Beyrichia-Limestones) according to the (not so rare but small parts of) Placodermata (mostly spines, and scales, the longest spine I have seen from these rocks was about 6 cm, scales usually betw. 1 and 3 mm)

The Beyrichia-Limestones are very species rich, you might google "Beyrichienkalk" to get some impressions.

On 13.3.2019 at 2:02 PM, Kasia said:

image.png.b237ab67b4d430104ced628c0a7fdb46.png

This one, by the way, is from Ordovician times. I think it is a calcareous algae, called Palaeoporella. Also known from Sweden and Estonia, in those mass occurences named Palaeoporellenkalk or Palaeoporella Limestone