Cherokee Valley, Catoosa (Pointers?)

MeargleSchmeargl

So I recently decided to look at this log of sites I got from quick a search on the internet to get some ideas of a new place to hunt (Yes, old info I know, but any helps!):

http://fossilspot.com/STATES/GA.HTM

I was particularly interested in a certain group of listed places residing in Cherokee Valley, claiming that there are some Missisipian deposits, including but not limited to plants. The website claims that the sites are ~1 km north of GA 41. After some tireless searching on Maps, I think I've narrowed the area down to this:

5c893c36b89fa_ScreenShot2019-03-13at1_14_07PM.png.446796d88cca9e421d15c0d63f543ca0.png

Any second opinions on the area and possible finds? Thanks in advance! :D

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

My tip is: look for flowing water features.  Let water do the digging; along a creek, river, or lake. If the scouting trip is fruitful then go with a shovel.

Best of luck.

my advice is to look for roads cutting ridges instead of valley sections. Most valleys are well occupied by agriculture or homes. The roads that cut across the ridges are more likely to have sections. Of course a steep gradient stream cutting into a ridge or well above the valley floor will provide exposures. Have had good luck in stream valleys in the Valley and Ridge province of central Pennsylvania but there were no apparent problems accessing the streams in the extreme rural parts.

In addition to the excellent advise in the above comments, I pulled up the site of your image on Google Maps and noticed several places along the ridge line that look like they have been cleared for building sites.  It might be possible to access those.  Also there is a large area that has been logged, and again logging roads may (or may not) allow access.  It's safe to assume everything is private property in that area so you might have to do some detective work to get permission. 

Some time ago I read about erosion gullies in that area, right on the GA/AL state line, that produced a variety of silicified fossils (brachiopods, blastoids, etc) that were weathered out and just needed a toothbrush to "prep".  Unfortunately I could never determine exactly where the gullies were.  Everything in that area tends to get overgrown in just a few years unless there is active erosion to keep it clear.  Still, it suggests fossils can be found in the area.  Good luck!

Don

• I found this Informative 1

Looking at the map, I would go to the end of Cherokee Valley Road, just over the state border, and take a left onto E. Brainerd Road. 

About 2200 feet from that intersection, on the right, there looks to be an excavation/quarry site.  It is still active, by the looks of it. 

You could ask at a few of the houses nearby who owns it, find the owner, and ask for permission to be able to hunt there. 

Good luck.  

Quarry.JPG   Quarry2.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

If you end up finding the phosphatic nodules noted in the one entry, collect a bunch and try splitting them. I would not be surprised if there were fish/tetrapods in some of them. If so, I'd be interested in seeing them.