Large chunk of cetacean bone. Partial rib or jaw? Neither?

MrR

Greetings, all. Recently a friend gave me a rather large chunk of fossil bone from the Shark Tooth Hill area of Bakersfield. While originally we thought it might be a rib bone, I now think that it being so straight for the length it is, as well as the larger radius, that it might be a piece of a jawbone. Perhaps a partial jaw of a Miocene baleen. Mysticete?  Perhaps there's no way to tell? Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks ahead of time. Cheers.

DSC06457.JPG

DSC06458.JPG

DSC06459.JPG

DSC06460.JPG

It sounds like your friend is a quite an upstanding person with his original assessment... and likely dashingly handsome as well. ;)

OK, maybe not so much of that last part, but I can stand up fairly straight!

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

25 minutes ago, caldigger said:

It sounds like your friend is a quite an upstanding person with his original assessment... and likely dashingly handsome as well. ;)

:doh!:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

I don't care what all of you experts, scientists, other upstanding people, and your combined millennia of experience say, I know it's a partial jaw. And it's certainly baleen. Heck, I can even see where the teeth once "was". Thanks for your opinions nonetheless. :ighappy::megdance:

In all seriousness. Thanks, all. Especially to stand-up guy, caldigger. The RIB bone looks very nice on that Meg-filled matrix. ;)