Kem Kem dinosaur tooth - odd marks

Aurelius

I did some macro photography of one of my Kem Kem teeth (one of those smaller, unidentified dinosaurs), just for kicks. This tooth is under 1cm long. 

tooth.thumb.jpg.5710f6762e64d861d977e3e5b1f9c04c.jpg

However, I noticed this strange, cross-hatched pattern in beneath the serrations - is this a normal thing? How does it come about? Possibly some sort of cleaning marks? I am curious to know!

closeup.thumb.jpg.6f52c192e85eeed2039026cc521b6279.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

43 minutes ago, Aurelius said:

However, I noticed this strange, cross-hatched pattern in beneath the serrations - is this a normal thing? How does it come about? Possibly some sort of cleaning marks? I am curious to know!

Wow, these are some amazing images .... is this using a standard camera SLR ?  I don't know much about theropod teeth. Those marks are interesting .. some of them look rounded on the edges ... almost soft.  I wonder if it is some sort of micro-wear pattern or feeding pattern that was left behind ?  It looks so symmetrical. 

Cheers,

Brett

First it looks natural but its hard to say if its a normal texture since so little has been published in the Kem Kem so there are lots of unknowns.

Theropod enamel texture can be quite diverse its not necessarily smooth. 

Currently its categorized as four types.

Screenshot_20190314-182828.thumb.jpg.4508a4dde92e601091856f01481c75b2.jpg

A proposed terminology of theropod teeth (Dinosauria, Saurischia)
Article in Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology · September 2015
Impact Factor: 1.98 · DOI: 10.1080/02724634.2015.982797

Christophe Hendrickx et al

• I found this Informative 3

28 minutes ago, Troodon said:

First it looks natural but its hard to say if its a normal texture since so little has been published in the Kem Kem so there are lots of unknowns.

Hi @Troodon .. I think he meant the tiny abrasions (scratches) etched into the enamel texture.  These marks ...

closeup.thumb.jpg.6f52c192e85eeed2039026cc521b6279.jpg.e9c063e0bb232bb09e081d6d89258fc2.jpg

closeup.thumb.jpg.6f52c192e85eeed2039026cc521b6279_02.jpg.c6eea5a98415e9ceca1705e542d5cc9d.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

49 minutes ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

Wow, these are some amazing images .... is this using a standard camera SLR ?  I don't know much about theropod teeth. Those marks are interesting .. some of them look rounded on the edges ... almost soft.  I wonder if it is some sort of micro-wear pattern or feeding pattern that was left behind ?  It looks so symmetrical. 

Thanks Brett. I use a Nikon D800 with a microscope objective mounted onto the front of a 70-300mm lens (plus lots of complex lighting). I'm hoping to make some sort of income selling prints of my pictures, but fossil images are a little niche!

The marks do seem a bit unusual to me. As though that part of the tooth has scraped against something. Obviously they are incredibly fine marks, on such a tiny tooth.

5 minutes ago, Aurelius said:

The marks do seem a bit unusual to me. As though that part of the tooth has scraped against something. Obviously they are incredibly fine marks, on such a tiny tooth.

The only related paper that I could find with a quick search had images with marks that are a bit more random (muuuch smaller) .... but the feeding habits and morphology obviously could be vastly different from one species to the next.

https://phys.org/news/2018-04-dinosaurs-tooth-predatory.html

1-dinosaurstoo.thumb.jpg.2af386006ee6255ce1e9a1b107e4be9e.jpg

28 minutes ago, Aurelius said:

The marks do seem a bit unusual to me.

Again, I won't assume anything about dino teeth .. but shark tooth wear/bite damage does have its own patterns.  Here is one from Florida bone valley as an example.

02_BoneValleyFL__Meg_011218.jpg.b5dbddc8febd0e661e98fa9028e96a5d.jpg

Zooming in on the photos, the marks appear more like tiny cracks than scratches. The two different directions reminds me of stress related cracks, probably from being compress in the sediment.

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, Al Dente said:

Zooming in on the photos, the marks appear more like tiny cracks than scratches. The two different directions reminds me of stress related cracks, probably from being compress in the sediment.

This is where my thought lays as well.

"Stress fractures"

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

10 hours ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

Hi @Troodon .. I think he meant the tiny abrasions (scratches) etched into the enamel texture.  These marks ...

Thanks did not see those marks, agree with the others look like stress cracks

• I found this Informative 1