connorp

I have always been quite fascinated with the early stages of development of life on Earth. My interest really picked up when I first discovered the Ediacaran biota, and who can blame me. Those creatures are so enigmatic and fascinating. I was able to pick up a few specimens, but quickly realized that my desire for fossils greatly outweighed the supply and cost of Ediacaran fossils, and I soon discovered the equally fascinating and enigmatic Lower Cambrian Chengjiang biota. I was, and still am, blown away at the quality of preservation of these soft bodied critters. A lot of specimens come very shoddily or incompletely prepared, and while it's been a steep learning curve, I feel that I'm starting to get the hang of prepping them. I've decided to start posting my latest acquisitions as these fossils are too amazing not to share.

First up is Cricocosmia jinningensis, a fairly common palaeoscolecid worm from the Chengjiang biota. I have several specimens but this one is the best. It came partially prepped and I am just now satisfied with the result.

IMG_5407.thumb.jpg.69bc45c1c3020835880ac3753c7e0764.jpg

You can see remnants of the gut preserved as darker regions in the center of the body.

Next up is a small hash plate of Bohemiella romingeri brachiopods from the Middle Cambrian of the Czech Republic. Not my usual purchase, but I felt the specimen was too beautiful to pass up.

IMG_5409.thumb.jpg.dd724427c0ee573c0597c7302d42b1fe.jpg

• I found this Informative 9

Along with the brachiopods, I received a nice Haplophrentis carinatus from the familiar Middle Cambrian Chisolm Shale in Utah. It's a bit hard to make out due to all the dendrites, but a cool piece nonetheless.

IMG_5410.thumb.jpg.c9344a2160fb3de943ed0c29c3443e0f.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

And to tease the Ediacaran material, here are two specimens of Nemiana simplex from the Ukraine. I am particularly fond of the negative impressions, and they are not seen as often. Originally interpreted as cnidarians, they are now believed to have a cyanobacterial affinity.

IMG_5412.thumb.jpg.07f98ab43cb3e50cb2a7ee97a1ca5f42.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

The Cricosomia is stunning. :envy:

How do you prep them? Just pins? 

I love the brachiopods too, of course.:wub:

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

25 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

The Cricosomia is stunning. :envy:

How do you prep them? Just pins? 

I love the brachiopods too, of course.:wub:

I started off using sewing needles. The fossils tend to lie on a single bedding plane, so I would poke nearby matrix until it broke off, and usually would split cleanly away from the fossil. I recently got a box of hypodermic needles that I use in a pin vice. They were recommended by a member, I can't remember who, but I am very grateful to them. Hypodermic needles have edges near the tip which I've been using to slowly scrape away matrix rather than poking. They leave no tool marks and there is a lot less possibility for damage. I'm currently working on prepping out some arthropod appendages and it seems to be going well.

23 minutes ago, connorp said:

I started off using sewing needles. The fossils tend to lie on a single bedding plane, so I would poke nearby matrix until it broke off, and usually would split cleanly away from the fossil. I recently got a box of hypodermic needles that I use in a pin vice. They were recommended by a member, I can't remember who, but I am very grateful to them. Hypodermic needles have edges near the tip which I've been using to slowly scrape away matrix rather than poking. They leave no tool marks and there is a lot less possibility for damage. I'm currently working on prepping out some arthropod appendages and it seems to be going well.

Yes, I've heard good things about the hypodermic needles. 

Will have to get some for my pin vice. 

Good luck with the arthropod appendages. :fingerscrossed:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Congrats on all the excellent fossils! :fistbump:

Btw, the status has not changed since I first mentioned it on your other thread three years ago: Nemiana simplex is still synonymized with Beltanelliformis brunsae

Ivantsov 2018 and Ivantsov et al. 2014 elaborate further:

The presence of remains of Beltanelliformis and two varieties of its preservation, “Nemiana” and “Beltanelloides”, has been recorded in the Upper Vendian of eastern Europe (Mogilev-Podolsky Group of Podolia, Ust-Pinega Formation of the Southeastern White sea region, Kairovo Group of Cisuralia, Chernyi Kamen Formation of the Middle Urals), Yakutia (Khatyspyt Formation of the Olenek Uplift), China (Doushantuo Formation of the Yangtze River valley), northwestern Canada (Blueflower Formation in the Wernecke Mountains), southern Namibia (Dabis Formation) and southern Australia (Ediacara Member of the Flinders Ranges) (see a publication review in Ivantsov et al., 2014).

Ivantsov, A.Y. 2018

Vendian Macrofossils of the Yudoma Group, Southeast of the Siberian Platform.

Paleontological Journal 52(12):1335-1346

Abstract—Two groups of Precambrian macrofossils are reexamined. Members of the first group are usually determined as Nemiana simplex Palij, 1976 and regarded as remains of animal organisms; members of the second are often determined as Beltanelloides sorichevae Sokolov, 1965 and assigned to green algae or cyanobacteria. The cooccurrence of the two groups in burials of the White Sea outcrops, the similarity in morphology, and the presence of transitional forms suggest that they could have been variants of preservation of the same extinct species. As a result of critical analysis of published data and examination of available type specimens, the species Beltanelliformis brunsae Menner, 1974, Beltanelloides podolicus A. Istchenko, 1988, Hagenetta aarensis Hahn et Pflug, 1988, Medusinites paliji Gureev, 1987, and Namamedusium wendti Zessin, 2008 are assigned to the same species. Beltanelliformis brunsae is regarded as the senior synonym.

...Thus, despite obvious similarity of the groups “Nemiana” and “Beltanelloides,” scientists frequently believe that they sharply differ in nature. However, in the present paper, it is accepted that the two groups are only different preservation forms of biogenic formations of the genus Beltanelliformis.

A series of species names, i.e., Beltanelloides sorichevae, B. podolicus, Hagenetta aarensis, Medusinites paliji, Nemiana simplex, and Namamedusium wendti, are synonyms of Beltanelliformis brunsae Menner, 1974. Fossils are preserved in two main forms: “Nemiana,” three dimensional molds on the sole of sandstone beds; and “Beltanelloides,” flat imprints inside the strata of mudstones or thinlayer carbonates.

Ivantsov, A.Y., Gritsenko, V.P., Konstantinenko, L.I., Zakrevskaya, M.A. 2014
Revision of the Problematic Vendian Macrofossil Beltanelliformis (= Beltanelloides, Nemiana).
Paleontological Journal, 48(13):1423-1448   LINK

• I found this Informative 6

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

1 hour ago, piranha said:

Congrats on all the excellent fossils! :fistbump:

Btw, the status has not changed since I first mentioned it on your other thread three years ago: Nemiana simplex is still synonymized with Beltanelliformis brunsae

Ivantsov 2018 and Ivantsov et al. 2014 elaborate further:

The presence of remains of Beltanelliformis and two varieties of its preservation, “Nemiana” and “Beltanelloides”, has been recorded in the Upper Vendian of eastern Europe (Mogilev-Podolsky Group of Podolia, Ust-Pinega Formation of the Southeastern White sea region, Kairovo Group of Cisuralia, Chernyi Kamen Formation of the Middle Urals), Yakutia (Khatyspyt Formation of the Olenek Uplift), China (Doushantuo Formation of the Yangtze River valley), northwestern Canada (Blueflower Formation in the Wernecke Mountains), southern Namibia (Dabis Formation) and southern Australia (Ediacara Member of the Flinders Ranges) (see a publication review in Ivantsov et al., 2014).

Ivantsov, A.Y. 2018

Vendian Macrofossils of the Yudoma Group, Southeast of the Siberian Platform.

Paleontological Journal 52(12):1335-1346

Abstract—Two groups of Precambrian macrofossils are reexamined. Members of the first group are usually determined as Nemiana simplex Palij, 1976 and regarded as remains of animal organisms; members of the second are often determined as Beltanelloides sorichevae Sokolov, 1965 and assigned to green algae or cyanobacteria. The cooccurrence of the two groups in burials of the White Sea outcrops, the similarity in morphology, and the presence of transitional forms suggest that they could have been variants of preservation of the same extinct species. As a result of critical analysis of published data and examination of available type specimens, the species Beltanelliformis brunsae Menner, 1974, Beltanelloides podolicus A. Istchenko, 1988, Hagenetta aarensis Hahn et Pflug, 1988, Medusinites paliji Gureev, 1987, and Namamedusium wendti Zessin, 2008 are assigned to the same species. Beltanelliformis brunsae is regarded as the senior synonym.

...Thus, despite obvious similarity of the groups “Nemiana” and “Beltanelloides,” scientists frequently believe that they sharply differ in nature. However, in the present paper, it is accepted that the two groups are only different preservation forms of biogenic formations of the genus Beltanelliformis.

A series of species names, i.e., Beltanelloides sorichevae, B. podolicus, Hagenetta aarensis, Medusinites paliji, Nemiana simplex, and Namamedusium wendti, are synonyms of Beltanelliformis brunsae Menner, 1974. Fossils are preserved in two main forms: “Nemiana,” three dimensional molds on the sole of sandstone beds; and “Beltanelloides,” flat imprints inside the strata of mudstones or thinlayer carbonates.

Ivantsov, A.Y., Gritsenko, V.P., Konstantinenko, L.I., Zakrevskaya, M.A. 2014
Revision of the Problematic Vendian Macrofossil Beltanelliformis (= Beltanelloides, Nemiana).
Paleontological Journal, 48(13):1423-1448   LINK

Thank you. I was aware (or at least of the opinion?) that Beltanelliformis and Nemiana were the same, but good to know that Beltanelliformis is now the senior synonym.

Here is probably my favorite specimen. It is an Anomalocaris saron appendage from Chengjiang with several partial Redlichia trilobites. Anomalocaris appendages are not uncommon, but ones this well preserved are quite hard to find.

a_saron.thumb.jpg.ed5d82657f560aedf0b3b3df83a40abe.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

4 hours ago, connorp said:

Here is probably my favorite specimen. It is an Anomalocaris saron appendage from Chengjiang with several partial Redlichia trilobites. Anomalocaris appendages are not uncommon, but ones this well preserved are quite hard to find.

a_saron.thumb.jpg.ed5d82657f560aedf0b3b3df83a40abe.jpg

Excellent acquisition! Thanks for sharing.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

What an incredible collection that has made a very interesting thread. I love the Cricocosmia so beautifully preserved.   :wub:

Heliomedusa orienta, a fairly common brachiopod from Chengjiang. If you look closely at the upper left region, you can see that some setae are preserved. This is easily one of my favorite specimens.

IMG_5418.thumb.jpg.4d99a22aebb69791eda8af256e52c202.jpg

Some exceptionally preserved specimens, such as the one below, even have the lophophore preserved.

5c8c00cd44bcd_ScreenShot2019-03-15at3_44_52PM.png.5a816f68bfbf853fcfde8da9fab3527e.png

Image credit: "Architecture and function of the lophophore in the problematic brachiopod Heliomedusa orienta (Early Cambrian, South China)" (Zhang et al. 2009).

• I found this Informative 3

A negative impression of Yunnancephalus yunanensis, a moderately common Chengjiang trilobite. Not the best specimen, until you look at the upper left region of the cephalon and notice a small fragment of the antenna is preserved! There are also several brachiopods on the matrix, likely Diandongia pista.

IMG_5419.thumb.jpg.e9a68e48097b4a3e69f843f0f983f0f6.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Amazing, the trilobite and the anomalocarid are superb, but I love the brachiopods, especially the Heliomedusa. :wub:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

A gorgeous near-complete Malungia laevigata trilobite from the Lower Cambrian Heilinpu formation that I just received in the mail today.

5c8fde0123187_ScreenShot2019-03-18at2_05_33PM.thumb.png.d0101cf017cdbf11524b285bf340415f.png

• I found this Informative 3

22A7BF99-6AF9-42AF-8987-BDEAFFA639DE.thumb.jpeg.e7f1f5d53ae1f56db69a4086e30a904b.jpeg

Leanchoilia illecebrosa arthropod I just finished cleaning up. The legs are not amazingly preserved, but I didn’t think they were even there when I first purchased this specimen. I’m quite satisfied with how this turned out.

Ah, very nice stuff! I have a soft spot for the 'early life' fossils too and I've got some of the same ones as you have, some of which I have posted here and there on TFF, but I haven't yet managed a nice Anomalocaris appendage like yours, nor a Haplophrentis (thought I do have other hyolithids).

I've noticed the poor prepping attempts on the specimens we get from Chengjiang, but I'm afraid to try prepping them myself for fear of puncturing the fossil like the Chinese preppers sometimes do!

2 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Ah, very nice stuff! I have a soft spot for the 'early life' fossils too and I've got some of the same ones as you have, some of which I have posted here and there on TFF, but I haven't yet managed a nice Anomalocaris appendage like yours, nor a Haplophrentis (thought I do have other hyolithids).

I've noticed the poor prepping attempts on the specimens we get from Chengjiang, but I'm afraid to try prepping them myself for fear of puncturing the fossil like the Chinese preppers sometimes do!

I was definitely worried at first. But once you get a feel for the matrix (which is incredibly soft) it’s not that bad. I practiced on a couple Cricocrosmia partials which can easily be found for a few bucks. All you need is magnification and a steady hand.

I just managed to obtain a copy of the book "The Cambrian Fossils of Chengjiang, China: The Flowering of Early Animal Life." It is, as far as I can find, one of, if not the most, comprehensive texts ever written on the subject. There is so much information and I am very much looking forward to reading it. The photography really is the high point though. Here is an excerpt showing how great the photos are.

5c951d8b6ef68_ScreenShot2019-03-22at1_35_26PM.thumb.png.07d6e6c2fc68d6ef791c6572d3e44db2.png

A new Leanchoilia illecebrosa I just received. I love the color on this one, and that the tail is preserved which is quite uncommon. It's very tiny – I've never seen one so small.

IMG_5456.thumb.jpg.055d68abedb1e4fa113122be6c98dbf6.jpg

5c95412968318_ScreenShot2019-03-22at4_05_44PM.thumb.png.91b375444e418044b13f5112e59daade.png

• I found this Informative 4

• 4 weeks later...

IMG_5630.thumb.jpg.458fe4eb8cbaf5ce01c9f7b1f03f4ec0.jpg

Gogia spiralis from the Wheeler Shale. The stalk measures around 1.5", so this is a nice display piece.

IMG_5632.thumb.jpg.a043cc1da7cdd09875f2de54e6aa8f59.jpg

This is definitely one of my favorite fossils, and certainly one of the rarest. Kimberella quadrata, a possible mollusk from the Ediacaran. Comes from the White Sea region. I particularly like this specimen because it is (interpreted as) a positive, and negatives are much more common.