zs1994

found in meridian mississippi this rock has every characteristic of a finger even what appears to be veins and finger prints 

126A2A72-FE49-4FC1-9C87-555F0ABDA53C.jpeg

Hate to say it, but it looks like a limestone nodule with chert inclusions... not a fossil.  Certainly not a fossilized finger.  

I see fingerprints on the living fingers but cannot see them on the specimen.  : (

• I found this Informative 3

That's kind of cool. I agree with jpc but could we see a shot of the other side and one from the end--especially if its broken on the end so we can see a crossection of it? I'm wondering if the fingerprints you are seeing are some kind of very thin banding/layers in the chert...

Regards, Chris 

Definitely looks to be of geological origin rather than biological.

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

Doesn't really resemble a finger.

I agree with geologic origin.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Thanks for the additional photos! 

They confirm JP's original ID that its a weathered rock with some inclusions. It does have a general finger like shape to it. The streaks appear to be mineral veins running thru it or on it..that small raised area that I circled at the top of the photo also appears to either be a mineral or fossil fragment. 

5c8db07e7540d_Mississippirockunknown.jpg.c8f38092b435ad4903f629f072b85b36.jpg

Regards, Chris   

• 1 year later...
10 minutes ago, MamaKat said:

I totally think it’s possible this is a fossilized primate finger from at least 10,000 years ago.   

Although this is an older topic, there is no evidence this is a finger.  Shape is just one of many characteristics that help us understand the origin of the rocks we study. 

We have the ability to believe anything is true...proving it is quite different.  ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

8 minutes ago, MamaKat said:

I totally think it’s possible this is a fossilized primate finger from at least 10,000 years ago.   

I doubt that. Last time primates inhibited N. America was in the Eocene period 56 to 33 million years ago when earth warmed and palm trees were growing in Alaska.  

1 hour ago, MamaKat said:

Definitely not a fossilized primate finger. 

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me