New genus and species of Cretaceous crab (New Jersey)

Hello!

I wanted to share some information and the published study of a crab carapace I recently donated to the New Jersey State Museum (NJSM).

I found this last year in Monmouth County, New Jersey and thanks to suggestions from fellow forum members, as well as the NJSM, I sent this crab to decapod expert Dr. Rodney Feldmann to study. After review, it was determined that this crab represents a new genus and species and was recently published in the Mizunami Fossil Museum Bulletin.

It was an absolute pleasure to work with Dr. Feldmann, who was kind enough to name it after me (Costadromia hajzeri).

I also want to thank my good friends at the New Jersey State Museum, and everyone on the forum who helped ID this specimen. This was a really fun project to be involved in!

@non-remanié @Trevor @Jeffrey P @Carl @FossilDAWG @Darktooth

http://www.city.mizunami.lg.jp/docs/2019031400022/files/02feldmannschweitzer2019.pdf

crabnew.jpg

alien.jpg

• I found this Informative 21

Congratulations! :yay-smiley-1:

Result for you personally and for science. 

And it's a lovely little crab too! 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Congratulations, Frank!  That's awesome!  Kudos to your research crew.

:1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Beautiful find and wonderful collaboration between amateur and pro, all to benefit our understanding of the home planet.

WELL-DONE-50.gif.42e10da63d00970fee02bf57d69b4117.gif

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Congratulations!  :yay-smiley-1: That all turned out about as well as I could possibly have imagined.

Don

Awesome, Frank!

Glad to hear this. 

You are most deserving of having something named after you!.  :) 

Well done, sir. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Very cool to get to work with the professionals--even cooler when you get your own species! :)

Cheers.

-Ken

2 hours ago, jpc said:

cool.  And beautiful little crabapace.   (I just made that up via typo!) 

Well that's just a really cool typo! I can't guarantee that I don't steal that word! :D

2 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Congratulations!  :yay-smiley-1: That all turned out about as well as I could possibly have imagined.

Don

My thoughts exactly. I never even took the time to day-dream about this being a new species/genus before I heard the news. It was a complete surprise!

Thanks for your help Don!

5 minutes ago, frankh8147 said:

Well that's just a really cool typo! I can't guarantee that I don't steal that word! :D

permission granted to all...

Congratulations  Frank I am very Happy for you. This is great news!:yay-smiley-1: on top of that Lungfish find, you are on a roll!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Excellent! :yay-smiley-1: Rodney Feldmann certainly is the right address when it comes to Decapoda. He was also the one that confirmed the new species which I found a few years ago.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

2 hours ago, fossisle said:
2 hours ago, fossisle said:

Wow great find, what a cool crab!!

Thanks everyone! And yeah, it's definitely different! In fact, it was so different to what I'm used to seeing there that I originally thought it was an echinoid

21 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Congratulations  Frank I am very Happy for you. This is great news!:yay-smiley-1: on top of that Lungfish find, you are on a roll!

Thanks! Hopefully we can get together for a dig sometime soon!

3 hours ago, frankh8147 said:

Thanks! Hopefully we can get together for a dig sometime soon!

I would like that!:):dinothumb:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

So amazing!! Now go out and find another!! This time you will literally have your name on it :) 

On 3/16/2019 at 9:22 PM, Al Tahan said:

So amazing!! Now go out and find another!! This time you will literally have your name on it :) 

Thank you and believe me, this jumped to the top of my want list!

This would be a good time to mention - although I've never bought or traded for a fossil, I would make an exception for a 'partial' C. hajzeri. If anyone has one and would consider trading, send me a message! I have tens of thousands of fossils in my basement so I'm sure we could work something out!

It would be great if you could locate additional specimens of this newly christened species. I'm sure you'd like to have one of your namesake for your collection and the museum would probably appreciate an additional material to support this new genus and species.

Is it possible that the NJSM might make a cast of the type specimen for you? A copy of the type would be a real top-shelf display case item. ;)

Congrats again on your contribution to science.

Cheers.

-Ken

1 hour ago, digit said:

It would be great if you could locate additional specimens of this newly christened species. I'm sure you'd like to have one of your namesake for your collection and the museum would probably appreciate an additional material to support this new genus and species.

Is it possible that the NJSM might make a cast of the type specimen for you? A copy of the type would be a real top-shelf display case item. ;)

Congrats again on your contribution to science.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thank you so much!

The NJSM is going to make some casts for me in a few months (probably around summertime) and I can't wait to get them. I already have it all worked out how I'm going to display my casts in my collection.

I work with them a lot (once a month or so) and right now, they have a lot going on. They have the "Objects Count -decade of collecting" exhibit which has my lungfish tooth-plate (along with the other known Eastern USA late Cretaceous specimen found by @njfossilhunter ) and a croc exhibit with some amazing stuff in it so I'll get my casts once the dust clears!

Cheers Ken!

-Frank

Nice! I enjoy working with museums as you can get in on opportunities you otherwise couldn't. Love to see an image of the cast when it finally comes your way.

Cheers.

-Ken