Unknown Shell Fossils

JulianoLPD

Hi there folks.

I received these two fossil shells as a gift but they came with none information about its identity or origin.

I was wondering if it is possible to have any information about them based only in these images.

As a matter of fact, I'm not even sure they are real fossils because (to my completely newbie understanding) they don't feel "that fossilized".

Hope someone can shed a light here.

Thanks in advance, :)

IMG_20190315_182450.jpg

IMG_20190315_182511.jpg

IMG_20190315_182412.jpg

IMG_20190315_182422.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Hi,

Gastropods, but I can't say more...

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Carnelian agate replaced gastropods of the Moroccan desert region.

Both very real. Although they have none of the original shell material left.

These are called "Steinkerns". The replacement minerals that fill the inner spaces if the shell.

• I found this Informative 8

On 3/15/2019 at 8:14 PM, caldigger said:

Carnelian agate replaced gastropods of the Moroccan desert region.

Both very real. Although they have none of the original shell material left.

These are called "Steinkerns". The replacement minerals that fill the inner spaces if the shell.

I think these might actually not be steikerns, at least not the ornate one. Steinkerns are internal molds and that kind of ornamentation, as far as I know, is only ever external. That would make these agate casts.

• I found this Informative 3

1 hour ago, Carl said:

I think these might actually not be steikerns, at least not the ornate one. Steinkerns are internal molds and that kind of ornamentation, as far as I know, is only ever external. That would make these agate casts.

Right you are. I should have said casts.

These have been showing up in shows for the past few years out of Morocco and what little I can find about them online is that they are either Cretaceous or Eocene.  They look more Eocene to me.  As far as I know, I don't believe anyone has published the taxonomy of these shells, but I would be very interested if someone has additional information as I have tried to purchase as many different species as I can find when cruising rock/fossil/gem shows.

Mike

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

really beautiful and the result of an amazing process...incredible when  you think about it. 

I am glad @caldigger chimed in with an actual response, because I would have said they look like Gummie Gastropods, you know, the soft chewable kind!  :D  Those are pretty cool, I don't think I've seen those before.  

Yeah, immediately recognized agatized gastropods.

I have found a few here in Washington. 

they are beautiful because they are now preserved as a hard mineral instead of a brittle imprint on shale or mudstone or a crumbly steinkern. It allows for more handling in my opinion.