The river gave the goods

garyc

Great variety today. I’ll add more pics tomorrow but just had to get this piece uploaded tonight. I’m almost positive this is capybara. I only hesitate because I have not found any other capybara material on the Brazos River.  Needless to say , I’m pretty stoked with this find!!! Will definitely be entering this in FOTM!!!

9F219AF0-76BD-449B-B883-9EB792CB18C0.jpeg

D418E9CF-6B55-40EF-9FD6-6320470EE7E7.jpeg

B40EC329-4EA4-4850-8170-4EC5AE0A36C7.jpeg

• I found this Informative 9

Stellar find, Gary!  Congratulations.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Stunning find Gary!!! Congrats!!!:envy:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Here’s the rest of the days finds. Horse, deer, camel, mammoth/mastodon foot bone, worn glyptodon and a few pieces I’m unsure of.

image.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

Wow! That makes this capybara find even more impressive! I've only found tiny tooth fragments barely diagnostic of this species from the Peace River. This is a find of great scientific value! I await its addition to March's FOTM contest. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

Dayum!
Nice shootin', Tex!
I await the whole recounting of the trip. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The skull doesn't look like it had been out of the bank and in the river very long...
Did you scrutinize the banks upstream?
Just sayin'...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Great finds! Congratulations! 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

2 hours ago, Auspex said:

Dayum!
Nice shootin', Tex!
I await the whole recounting of the trip. :)

2 hours ago, Auspex said:

The skull doesn't look like it had been out of the bank and in the river very long...
Did you scrutinize the banks upstream?
Just sayin'...

There's not a whole lot to recount. The river has been too high for a couple of months to do any hunting, so I jumped on this opportunity. The day started off a little cooler than expected and I was underdressed. It was upper 50's and I was in a bathing suit and long sleeved t-shirt.  I originally parked a bicycle downstream and was going to paddle down and ride back to my car.  About a 14 mile round trip. I ended up cheating and calling my wife for a ride.  I'm willing to be cold while in pursuit of treasure; but not just for a measly bike ride. When I first saw this piece I immediately thought it was beaver. With a closer look at the occlusal pattern I hesitantly changed my mind to capybara. I haven't found any other capybara material before and haven't heard of it around here; so I was not super confident of the ID. I agree that this skull does not look to have been exposed very long.  I did scout the area pretty well, but might have to go back soon and check higher up the bank.

• I found this Informative 1

Gary, if you want some input from the Vertebrate Paleontology Lab @ Austin, Texas, contact Matt Brown.  He can point you toward those researching these critters and you could get confirmation on what it is.

;)

• I found this Informative 2

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

7 hours ago, garyc said:

Thanks John! That is very interesting. I'd love to know if any of our other Texas hunters have found any capybara. @Uncle Siphuncle

Great find Gary.  Pleisto skulls of any kind are trip makers, but capybara is one elusive critter, elevating the experience.  If I’ve ever found part of one, it was indeterminate post cranial stuff.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

BTW, that preservation looks quite a bit older than your average 10,000 year old stuff.

• I found this Informative 1

Grüße,

55 minutes ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

BTW, that preservation looks quite a bit older than your average 10,000 year old stuff.

Thanks Dan, I agree it’s got to be pretty old. It’s like one big rock

A little consolidated matrix in the neurocranium bumps up the odds of finding a decent skull substantially.  

Grüße,