Paasche AECR hose problem

Kane

It seems that all my equipment is giving me problems lately. The newest aggravation is a hose problem that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

I'm getting no air flow from the moisture trap to the pen. I can unscrew the release screw on the trap and it comes out fine, but it won't travel through the hose. I've tried reversing the flow as well as blowing it out at high pressure, but neither works. I've tried pinching the hose to look for blockage, but I can't seem to locate one. This part of the apparatus is not meant for disassembly, so I can't simply disconnect the hose from the trap to see what's going on. Is this fixable, or do I have to locate a replacement part?

IMG_5726.JPG

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Sounds like its acting like a check valve to me. Does your main line have a moisture trap?

...I'm back.

6 minutes ago, Raggedy Man said:

Sounds like its acting like a check valve to me. Does your main line have a moisture trap?

No, but I was going out today to finally get a main line water filter (my scribe is starting to spray water, which is a sign I've waited too long!). I might have to hunt around for a replacement hose. :( 

@Kane I wonder if your water trap is clogged with debris? Are you using anything ahead of your tools to filter the air? 

What type of compressor do you have? If it is oil lubricated, it will throw some of the oil into the air line through normal operation. That will foul a filter pretty quickly.

Dust in the air gets picked up by the compressor and the air filters on them are generally poor so this dust can travel through the system and end up in your lines as well over time. 

9 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

@Kane I wonder if your water trap is clogged with debris? Are you using anything ahead of your tools to filter the air? 

What type of compressor do you have? If it is oil lubricated, it will throw some of the oil into the air line through normal operation. That will foul a filter pretty quickly.

Dust in the air gets picked up by the compressor and the air filters on them are generally poor so this dust can travel through the system and end up in your lines as well over time. 

I'm thinking you may be right about some sort of clog in the line (perhaps even in the tiny trap that comes with the Paasche). I bought a filter with dessicant yesterday that I'll be placing before the tools. The compressor is an oil-free (and, don't laugh: a 3 gallon portable, but I'm running it into the ground before stepping it up with a new one). The dust and grit are likely the culprit... And I confess to having been reckless in the past doing some prep without a proper blast box and shop vac set up -- something since resolved in the last year.

7 hours ago, DevonianDigger said:

Definitely drain the compressor. I would replace the line with the trap. I bet you've got nonsense in there creating a blockage, and of course you can't take it apart, lol.

Draining the tank was my first step when my scribe was starting to become a garden hose. :P I'm resigned to replacing the line entirely. I spent over three hours at various hardware stores in search of one, but no dice... Not even a double-ended 1/4" hose (that I could maybe get a reducer for the one end to be 1/8"). So I had to order one online, arrival tomorrow. Thankfully, it's a fairly cheap part. Going forward, I'm going with simple lines preceded by filtration rather than rely on built-in filters on the lines.

• I found this Informative 1

4 hours ago, Kane said:

Going forward, I'm going with simple lines preceded by filtration rather than rely on built-in filters on the lines.

Good plan. The filters on the tool are really more of a backup than a first defense.

Aaand... back where I started. The hose arrived today, but the fitting was too large. Argh. Of the kajillion of connectors and reducers on hand, none will work to bridge the size difference. Back to searching online as hardware stores around here just don't carry what I would consider a basic part. 

At least my water filter is working and my poor, pokey scribe is not spewing water. 

The AECR does have some odd-sized bits to it. I don't have mine anymore so I can't measure the hoses.

@Kane , if you'd like I can contact my guy over at Paasche and see if I can get the schematics for the fittings. (Although I think you're almost just better off getting a replacement from them, lol.)

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

15 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

That’s a start!

Is the fitting you need an oddball size?

15 hours ago, DevonianDigger said:

The AECR does have some odd-sized bits to it. I don't have mine anymore so I can't measure the hoses.

@Kane , if you'd like I can contact my guy over at Paasche and see if I can get the schematics for the fittings. (Although I think you're almost just better off getting a replacement from them, lol.)

The part (according to the Paasche manual) is actually a 1/16" x 1/4" which seems a standard size for a range of air tools (although 1/8" is much more common). Paasche does sell the hose with the trap (beaucoup dollars) or without, but seem to think I would need 10 feet of line. :P I found another brand that sells that size of hose that is a bit shorter, so I'm hoping it will do the trick -- and I should know later today when it arrives. 

2 hours ago, Kane said:

The part (according to the Paasche manual) is actually a 1/16" x 1/4" which seems a standard size for a range of air tools (although 1/8" is much more common).

Can you get Imperial fittings in the frozen north, or do you have to import them from your southern friends? :P

7 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Can you get Imperial fittings in the frozen north, or do you have to import them from your southern friends? :P

Lol. For ease of standardization, most of the mechanical parts remain resolutely imperial. The use of online conversion tools assists in being able to figure out how many cubic pecks to the hogshead or cow phalanges to the square hay bale. :P 

• I found this Informative 1

3 hours ago, Kane said:

The use of online conversion tools assists in being able to figure out how many cubic pecks to the hogshead or cow phalanges to the square hay bale. :P 

:rofl:

21 hours ago, Kane said:

The use of online conversion tools assists in being able to figure out how many cubic pecks to the hogshead or cow phalanges to the square hay bale.

Some funny stuff right there.     My filters are easily taken off and thrown away.  The first time mine started clogging was back in the mid 1990's.  Havent used them sence.   I think your idea of a new hose is a good one.  The best of luck

RB

19 minutes ago, RJB said:

Some funny stuff right there.     My filters are easily taken off and thrown away.  The first time mine started clogging was back in the mid 1990's.  Havent used them sence.   I think your idea of a new hose is a good one.  The best of luck

RB

Thanks, Ron. I think the company means well... or else it is a sneaky way to get people to purchase their in-filter hose. Seems to me a bit of a design flaw. Fortunately, the right sized hose came yesterday, and I am officially a convert to using filters that can be decoupled from the lines. Today I give the new hose a spin!

13 minutes ago, Kane said:

Thanks, Ron. I think the company means well... or else it is a sneaky way to get people to purchase their in-filter hose. Seems to me a bit of a design flaw. Fortunately, the right sized hose came yesterday, and I am officially a convert to using filters that can be decoupled from the lines. Today I give the new hose a spin!

Woo Hoo! He's back in business.

Using a filter and desiccant ahead of your tools will do wonders for them. Also, draining your compressor every so often helps. :P Speaking of which, I should probably drain mine.