Seeking a text

DevonianDigger

Hello all,

Putting this one out to the masses before I break down and order a copy from the state.

Does anyone have a copy of the Fourth Annual Report of the Geological Survey of the Third District from the New York State Geological Survey, 1840,  Annual Report no. 4, more specifically,  [p. 355-383]? In particular I am looking for Vanuxem's writings about the Schoharie fm. Truth be told, I will take any information about the Schoharie that I can get. I don't know if I am just bad at research, but the information seems sparse on this one.

Lol, this is such an incredible long shot, but I figured you guys have surprised me with weirder requests in the past :P

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

I searched all the usual open source repositories with multiple combinations of the journal title without luck.  It is surprising that Vanuxem 1840 is not digitized. 

Check your emailmail1-smiley.gif?1292867634

Grabau, A.W. 1906

Guide to the Geology and Paleontology of the Schoharie Valley in Eastern New York. Lists of fossils found in the Schoharie region.

New York State Museum Bulletin, 92:317-332

Stevenson, J.J. 1901

The Section at Schoharie New York.

Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 13(3):361-380

Goldring, W., Flower, R.H. 1942

Restudy of the Schoharie and Esopus formations in New York State.

American Journal of Science, 240(10):673-694

• I found this Informative 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

5 minutes ago, DevonianDigger said:

Wish me luck, lol.

Good luck indeed. A very stunning  bug to hunt. 

I have deleted this post as in hindsight I probably should have not posted it 

@piranha, that's very cool. I am curious as to why none of the publications seem to ever reference photographs of a complete specimen, but rather present incomplete pieces. Is it because the complete examples are all in private collections?

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

I would suspect that because of the potential value people are generally a bit private about it.