Need help figuring out what this is a fossil of.

bag_o'_bones

My dad actually found this a few years ago in our driveway and thought I'd know what it was so he brought it to me. Pretty sure our limestone gravel came from an Indiana quarry. Haven't really been able to figure out what it is. Some of the grooving looks like it could be a clam but the things that kinda resemble teeth are throwing me off a bit. Anyone think they could help me out?

0316192208_HDR.jpg

8 minutes ago, Plantguy said:

Whats the scale---how big is it? 

Regards, Chris 

Just under 2.5 inches longways

You got me..I think its organic but wait for some of the other invert and local folks...

My brain wants to me to say geodized crinoid calyx fragment of some sort...but that is a real guess...and could be really really wrong!

Regards, Chris 

30 minutes ago, Plantguy said:

You got me..I think its organic but wait for some of the other invert and local folks...

My brain wants to me to say geodized crinoid calyx fragment of some sort...but that is a real guess...and could be really really wrong!

Regards, Chris 

Believe me this ones had me stumped for quite a while. I've found my fair share of marine fossils but this is something I've never seen. 

8 hours ago, bag_o'_bones said:

A closeup through my jewel loupe

0317190015a.jpg

I just came here to say I have no idea what this is. 
I'm just waiting for the next guy

8 minutes ago, Zenmaster6 said:

I just came here to say I have no idea what this is. 
I'm just waiting for the next guy

Fair enough man XD

12 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Chain coral, halysites.

That looks like a good bet, seeing a single chain of the colony in the first photo, heavily recrystallised.

• I found this Informative 1

Tarquin

I'm not really seeing the coral here...

I'm personally thinking it's geologic (not a fossil, but a non-organic rock formation). Although those little rock segments really do seem of organic origin (I agree they look an oddly lot like teeth at first glance!) I still think they're a bunch of crystals that have formed like this out of chance. So it seems like it's a pseudo-fossil to me. 

Very interesting piece!

Welcome to TFF btw! :D 

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

20 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

I'm not really seeing the coral here...

You wouldn't. It's not there.

External and internal molds, (may also be thought of as casts) and their placement are what is diagnostic.

• I found this Informative 4

7 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

You wouldn't. It's not there.

External and internal molds, (may also be thought of as casts) and their placement are what is diagnostic.

Oh like that. Ah. That makes more sense.

But I'm still gonna stick with my geologic guess, even though I'm far from certain of it...

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

3 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Chain coral, halysites.

3 hours ago, TqB said:

That looks like a good bet, seeing a single chain of the colony in the first photo, heavily recrystallised.

I had to take a look this morning to see what you all thought cause I thought it was pretty neat last night when I first looked at...Rockwood, sounds very plausible! Interestingly I happen to have a Halysites example from Indiana that as I recall had years ago experimented with and put some acid on it to see if was silicified......It is indeed remarkedly similar in form/shape...What still makes me wonder is the size and the apparent almost right angles...wondering if the recrystallization had any influence with that appearance I wonder if anyone else has any samples that shows a section thru these at that angle...If I had a rock saw I'd be out in the garage trying to make another section with some more acid...I'm almost glad I dont have one....lol.....Very cool guys! 

5c8e3fdd0a036_Halysitesafteracidtreatment3.jpg.0ed4ff69fcc2de5cf4f8c88cc07123fd.jpg5c8e3fddc6607_HalysitesHuntingtonIndiana.jpg.f5da1dc86c533b989ab25a86ee2bc739.jpg

Regards, Chris 

• I found this Informative 1

11 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Here is a look at the reference I have.

IMG_4953 (2).JPG

IMG_4955 (2).JPG

Mighty awesome! thanks!

Regards, Chris 

Those last few images of Halysites are making me think that is pretty good for a SWAG.  Also some of the Silurian rock units in your neck of the woods are often dolomotized and preserve things as both positive and negative casts and molds.

Alright so I drew up an idea of what im thinking it looks like under the extra limestone. It may give you a good idea what I'm seeing in person because I dont have a very good phone so details are difficult to see.

0317191656.jpg

@bag_o'_bonesI can see what you are proposing with a clam and it being possible shell remains--good sketches! But I'm still thinking what Rockwood has proposed with it being parts of a chain coral called Halysites is more likely---seems like a good possibility given the type and amount of preservation left for us to ponder over. Fossils in your area get recrystallized/distorted and it makes it tough to understand/see the original shapes/details of the fossil. Its very neat!

Hope you all can find some other things in the driveway. Our driveway at work here in Florida is a very productive hunting ground!

Thanks for showing us.  

Regards, Chris