Mazon Creek area nodules

Monica

Hi everyone!

Today I have something different to show you all: Mazon Creek area nodules that have opened for me via the freeze-thaw method!!!  These unopened nodules were acquired from @deutscheben after I asked him if he wouldn't mind sending me some since I wanted to try my luck at opening them myself.  He generously sent me 18 unopened nodules, all of which have gone through the freeze-thaw cycle I don't know how many times and so far only 3 have opened up.  I'd like a little help in identifying what they are - thanks in advance!!!  I believe they are from the Pennsylvanian period of the Carboniferous - any and all help/suggestions are appreciated!!!

Monica

Nodule #1, both pieces: I believe this is an Annularia sp.:

DSCN4559.thumb.JPG.aef5ef0427ff7c685d5d1de0acea7f26.JPGDSCN4558.thumb.JPG.e55cd86bb6f4a4121518ffde4e4c3da4.JPG

Nodule #2, both pieces: Perhaps bark or Cordaites sp.?  By the way - do you think I should put the bigger piece back through freeze-thaw to see if it opened up some more?

DSCN4557.thumb.JPG.57964ba35c741c33f4b12635a5004dbb.JPGDSCN4556.thumb.JPG.bcfae51780cab8b96d557517af2e17d0.JPG

More to come...

• I found this Informative 2

Nodule #3, both pieces (two photos of each piece): I have no idea - please help!!!

DSCN4561.thumb.JPG.5435a9b70b3f65f976cdcea736efcf5d.JPGDSCN4553.thumb.JPG.6ef276f696170ea334a099f44908567f.JPGDSCN4554.thumb.JPG.603be65094663aa83dda2452b94dd61e.JPGDSCN4555.thumb.JPG.9066d9a118d766d96454778548a973d4.JPG

Perhaps @Nimravis can also help...

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks so much, Ralph @Nimravis!!!  This is so exciting!!!  I think that this is my first fossil from Class Maxillopoda - woohoo!!! :yay-smiley-1:

Outstanding, I'm so happy you got some identifiable fossils out of your concretions! 

I agree with your Annularia ID for the first one, the second looks a lycopod leaf Cyperites , and I think Ralph is right with the third one. 

Other than popping the last little bit covering the far left of the leaf on the second one I don't think there is anymore to reveal- you could try tapping the end with a hammer to get it off. I hope more freeze-thawing will split some additional ones open for you in the future!

7 hours ago, deutscheben said:

Outstanding, I'm so happy you got some identifiable fossils out of your concretions! 

I agree with your Annularia ID for the first one, the second looks a lycopod leaf Cyperites , and I think Ralph is right with the third one. 

Other than popping the last little bit covering the far left of the leaf on the second one I don't think there is anymore to reveal- you could try tapping the end with a hammer to get it off. I hope more freeze-thawing will split some additional ones open for you in the future!

Thanks for chiming in, Ben!  I've never heard of Cyperites before, so that's definitely a new one for me, too - yay!!! :raindance:

I'm very happy with what has popped open so far - I'll tag you when more pop open to let you know if any more of the nodules contain little fossil goodies...

Thanks again so much!!!