Shark tooth from Nieuwvliet

Max-fossils

Hi all,

Here’s a cool little shark tooth I got from a super nice lady during the fossil fair in Harderwijk last weekend. She found it on the beach of Nieuwvliet-Bad in Zeeland (Netherlands). I’m trying to ID it but having some trouble doing so... looks most like a Striatolamia macrota but the shape of the tip of the crown seems off, and mine doesn’t have any cusps (and doesn’t appear to have had cusps now worn off either). Anyone have an idea? 

The tooth’s age is ambiguous, from Pliocene to early Eocene (all ages are found on the beaches of Zeeland), but seeing that she mostly found Eocene species nearby (ie Otodus auriculatus) this is one has a slightly higher chance of being Eocene too. 

Thanks in advance!

Max

44CAC3BD-F6EF-4A76-8C5B-A9F32BCC38D8.jpeg

4D3717CA-C219-47FF-A9DF-48DCCA675CB6.jpeg

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Hi Max,

It is most probably a Striatolmia, a lot of the theet from Nieuwvliet are rolled, so the cusps are probably worn of.

• I found this Informative 1

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

3 hours ago, Manticocerasman said:

Hi Max,

It is most probably a Striatolmia, a lot of the theet from Nieuwvliet are rolled, so the cusps are probably worn of.

That's what I thought at first too, but I'm really not sure... It doesn't look like there was anything that's been worn off. I'll show a picture tomorrow. 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils