DevonianDigger

Penn Dixie 2019 Dig With the Experts

DevonianDigger

Tickets are almost sold out! Don't miss your chance!

Join us for our signature event — Dig with the Experts! This is our very popular, once yearly opportunity to unearth the best, most complete, and most unexpected fossils at Penn Dixie. We’ll have equipment do the heavy lifting and scientific experts on site to help with locating and identifying the best fossils. You’ll have to do your share of splitting and digging, of course, but you’re guaranteed to find something cool and interesting.

Saturday, May 18: 9 am to 4 pm
Sunday, May 19: 9 am to 4 pm
Monday, May 20: 9 am to 4 pm (limited staffing)

Expert volunteers — including scientists, leading fossil collectors, and experts on local geology — will lead the dig in a freshly excavated section of the Lower Windom Shale and will demonstrate how to find Devonian Period trilobites, cephalopods, fish remains, brachiopods, corals, wood, and a range of other marine invertebrates. Thanks to our experts, we are celebrating our 15th dig in 2019! Saturday participants will receive a special commemorative gift.

But, wait — there’s more! ‘Paleo’ Joe Kchodl will once again join us for a special science talk the evening before the dig. Paleo Joe will present The Fossil Adventures of PaleoJoe at on Friday, May 17 at 6:30 pm in the Gateway Building Auditorium, 3556 Lakeshore Road in Blasdell, NY. This family-friendly presentation is FREE for Penn Dixie members AND registered dig guests, or $5 for the public. No reservations needed.

Tickets:
Saturday, May 18: Members $35, non-members $40
Sunday, May 19: Members $20, non-members $25, under 18 $15
Weekend Pass: Members $45, non-members $55 – SAVE $10
Monday, May 20: Included for all guests.

Director’s Notes: This program will sell out — please reserve early. In commemoration of our 15th dig, we offer Child (under age 18) tickets for Sunday’s dig at $15 each. Children are welcome to attend on Saturday at the regular rate. We do not recommend that children under age 7 attend this program due to the technical and safety requirements. During Dig With The Experts, other areas of Penn Dixie will be open to fossil collectors of all ages and regular tours will be available. Children must be accompanied at all times. Tickets are electronic and will not be mailed.

International Guests: Please email Dr. Phil Stokes at phil@penndixie.org with your name, order info (i.e., dates, numbers, and types of tickets), and membership status. We’ll send you a PayPal invoice directly.

Dig with the Experts draws collectors from around the globe for this unique opportunity, which was developed and is currently co-led by our friends from the Cincinnati Dry Dredgers. Bring a hammer, chisel, safety glasses, newspaper, and paper towels to wrap your fossils. Extra water is recommended, plus bring rain gear just in case the weather doesn’t cooperate.

Food trucks will be on site Saturday and Sunday to serve lunch. Guests are welcome to bring their own food and beverages, as well as a small cart to transport personal items and specimens. Chairs and umbrellas are okay, too. We thank Zoladz Construction Co., Inc. for their help to get Penn Dixie ready for this big event.

https://penndixie.org/dig-with-the-experts/

digit

I highly enjoyed my day at Penn Dixie last year with our TFF members as experts. Don't miss this opportunity--it should be great fun and rewarding. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

DevonianDigger

The past few years we have seen some absolutely incredible finds come out of the dig. We had first-timers who left with museum-quality pieces.

Malcolmt

I will be there for sure and for those that might like to meet up I will be there on the Friday and may stay the Monday depending on the weather. If you are luckey you might find one of these.

20181127_213343.thumb.jpg.6b59251fb279faae3e12547801711b59.jpg

Though you are more likely to find one of these.

Malcolmt

20180830_100557.thumb.jpg.996517da59094b7c44d27d06de33e9cc.jpg

Malcolmt
3 hours ago, digit said:

I highly enjoyed my day at Penn Dixie last year with our TFF members as experts. Don't miss this opportunity--it should be great fun and rewarding. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

Ken we had a few really good days collecting... Hope we do it again someday...

digit
10 minutes ago, Malcolmt said:

Ken we had a few really good days collecting... Hope we do it again someday...

Indeed! The collecting days on both sides of the border were memorable highlights of that roadtrip. :)

Hoping to make it to the northern Michigan sometime this summer to hunt for some Petoskey Stones (Hexagonaria percarinata rugose corals) and maybe some pieces of native (metallic) copper. Hungry Hollow and Penn Dixie are not to far distant on a well-planned roadtrip. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

BLT

My husband just bought our weekend passes! Woo-Hoo!!! :raindance:

digit

A decision you won't regret. We expect to see photos and a nice trip report sometime after the event. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

BLT

Can anyone recommend hotels (or B&B’s) which are located in close proximity to Penn-Dixie? My husband and I are completely unfamiliar with the area. 

Kane
12 minutes ago, BLT said:

Can anyone recommend hotels (or B&B’s) which are located in close proximity to Penn-Dixie? My husband and I are completely unfamiliar with the area. 

The Red Carpet Inn on Southwestern Blvd is probably the cheapest and within five minutes drive. Not glamourous, but it’s a bed.

BLT
2 minutes ago, Kane said:

The Red Carpet Inn on Southwestern Blvd is probably the cheapest and within five minutes drive. Not glamourous, but it’s a bed.

Thanks! :) 

DevonianDigger

There are some hotels, but they're not really all that nice directly in the area. The ubiquitous BnB site has some decent listings in the area. I'm the wrong person to ask, as when I am in the area I generally stay at my home, lol.

BLT
5 minutes ago, DevonianDigger said:

There are some hotels, but they're not really all that nice directly in the area. The ubiquitous BnB site has some decent listings in the area. I'm the wrong person to ask, as when I am in the area I generally stay at my home, lol.

Gotcha. Thanks! :) I’m thinking the closer our hotel is to the fossil park, the fewer times we will be likely to take wrong turns going back and forth. Lol

DevonianDigger

Just make sure that when you're coming out you make sure to enter Penn Dixie Fossils Park and not just Penn Dixie. The later will direct you to our office which is not at the site itself. 

https://penndixie.org/directions/

See you there!

BLT

Will do! Thanks again! 

jpc

this looks really cool.  Do you guys do this every year?  in May?  

I would love to come out one of these years.  

DevonianDigger

@jpc , we sure do! This is year 15 for us. I believe it is always Memorial Day weekend, at least it has been for recent years since I've been there. 

It's definitely a great time. You get to meet up with a lot of truly exceptional collectors and like-minded folk. Not to mention, it's all freshly excavated with heavy machinery a few weeks before so it's all fresh material. We literally excavate and then close off the site and cordon off the areas that were excavated. Even the employees are not allowed to touch the fresh material until the dig. ...I should note how much that totally sucks for us, lol! Last year I spent almost 4 weeks walking past a 4" Tornoceras in association with two complete prone Eldredgeops rana. Couldn't touch it. Whoever the first one to that pile was got to take it home! 

Last year, material ran a little short by the afternoon on Sunday, but I am going to be putting out probably an additional 20-50 piles this year just to make sure that everyone gets a fair shake. That being said, if you think you're going to show up on a Sunday afternoon and find the good stuff, you're probably fooling yourself. 

So come out early and come out ready to split some rocks!

DevonianDigger

I'll post some photos from the excavation to show people what they're in store for. (Won't be for a few more weeks.)

taj

Hmmm....

jpc

nice tale of frustration, but darn it.  

Memorial Day is traditionally one of my own fossil weekends around here, but I may see if I can make it out next year.  Thanks for the info.  

Although next year I will be leading a two week History of Paleo class in Europe in June... (I will post it when we get the details sussed).  Can I do east coast (or not coast) and then Europe right afterwards...? 

Malcolmt

Let's tease a few Penn pics in case you have not booked your tickets yet. As an added bonus If you arrive on the Friday you can have your own semi private "Dig with the Fake Expert"  ..... me. Guaranteed to come away with a complete trilo (or many) if you put in some effort with me.. I will have all the heavy duty equipment available and I am always on the lookout for able bodied fossil nuts who are not afraid of a bit of hard work. Please note we will not have access to the "Dig with The Experts" area on the Friday but we will be able to excavate in a manner that you cannot really do on the Saturday or the Sunday because of the number of people attending. FYI I am the old geezer in the Jurassic Park hat in the first picture

And tell you what........ if you do not prep your own trilobites as an added benefit for Fossil Forum members only . I will professional prep for you one of your complete single trilobite finds from the weekend at no charge (Please no large multi plates) You would just need to pay for the return shipping which is typically in the $12 to $20 range depending on weight. Just make sure you introduce yourself to me as a Fossil Forum member

40773073_2206417356237136_9018526045573218304_n.thumb.jpg.77376c88d8ee1ce96cad9213baac7b83.jpg

5c91619f71317_workarea.jpg.b99f99ea9e2af0f545fcedf4a8104f3e.jpg

5c9162b27a661_Penn2018reduced.thumb.jpg.d55c192278851ebf257082bb3b5bd9f1.jpg

Malcolmt

Who would not want to take home one of these

5c91654534790_Perfectbug1.thumb.jpg.c5fcbffacd46fadcc61f325a134fe966.jpg

Malcolmt

5c91658422afe_Perfectbug0.thumb.jpg.90b3d3789afa5cae973fc7f195e44762.jpg

Malcolmt
6 hours ago, BLT said:

I generally stay at the Red Roof Inn. Nothing special... close to Penn Dixie... Used to Get Free continental Breakfast in the morning last year and there coffee is not bad. Not sure if they still have that. Also close to the mall and places you can eat. I will be there for Fri, Sat and Sun.