DevonianDigger

Penn Dixie 2019 Dig With the Experts

BLT
1 hour ago, Malcolmt said:

As an added bonus If you arrive on the Friday you can have your own semi private "Dig with the Fake Expert"  ..... me.

Sounds great! I would love to find a complete trilobite! 

DevonianDigger
Just now, BLT said:

Sounds great! I would love to find a complete trilobite! 

If you're one of the early arrivals on Saturday, I can't quite guarantee it, but I can practically guarantee that you will find one. 

BLT
Just now, DevonianDigger said:

If you're one of the early arrivals on Saturday, I can't quite guarantee it, but I can practically guarantee that you will find one. 

Awesome! :dinothumb: I’m definitely an early bird. Do guests usually line up before the gates open?

Malcolmt

Jay but if her and her husband are there on Friday they will already have found some...... I suspect you will not be able to be there on Friday unless you go after school. I am planning on going to Joe's presentation on Friday night.

DevonianDigger
16 minutes ago, BLT said:

Awesome! :dinothumb: I’m definitely an early bird. Do guests usually line up before the gates open?

Absolutely. 

9 minutes ago, Malcolmt said:

Jay but if her and her husband are there on Friday they will already have found some...... I suspect you will not be able to be there on Friday unless you go after school. I am planning on going to Joe's presentation on Friday night.

I will probably be there getting ready for Saturday after school, yes. I may also be at Joe's presentation.

taj

Seems to be quite an event ...Must carefully think about a planning next year (this year already full with other priorities ) . Should be possible to combine with Niagara Falls and Toronto/ROM. That will be quite a trip ....

BLT

I noticed the suggestion to bring a small cart for transporting personal belongings and specimens. Which type of cart do guests usually bring? 

Kane
1 minute ago, BLT said:

I noticed the suggestion to bring a small cart for transporting personal belongings and specimens. Which type of cart do guests usually bring? 

We have a small foldable wagon like this that does the trick, and packs nicely in the car:

413EBe0TWZL.jpg

BLT
2 minutes ago, Kane said:

We have a small foldable wagon like this that does the trick, and packs nicely in the car:

Gotcha. Thanks! I didn’t realize foldable wagons existed. I’ve been wondering how we’d possibly fit what I was envisioning into our car. :headscratch:

Kane
2 minutes ago, BLT said:

Gotcha. Thanks! I didn’t realize foldable wagons existed. I’ve been wondering how we’d possibly fit what I was envisioning into our car. :headscratch:

:D 

As long as you have room for a bunch of buckets (and the suspension on the car to handle the load after you've had your fill of the place!), it should be ok. Don't forget to bring some foil to wrap some of the specimens. The area is fairly flat and accessible, so you'll have little trouble rolling the wagon along. 

BLT
11 minutes ago, Kane said:

:D 

As long as you have room for a bunch of buckets (and the suspension on the car to handle the load after you've had your fill of the place!), it should be ok. Don't forget to bring some foil to wrap some of the specimens. The area is fairly flat and accessible, so you'll have little trouble rolling the wagon along. 

Well, I’m sure glad you mentioned buckets and foil. Those were items I’d left off of my packing list. (I like to plan ahead. Lol) 

Kane
12 minutes ago, BLT said:

Well, I’m sure glad you mentioned buckets and foil. Those were items I’d left off of my packing list. (I like to plan ahead. Lol) 

Don't forget crazy glue! I know PD staff do have collecting stuff available to borrow if you forget anything, but I would think they would go fast with so many visitors. Beyond that, the usual stuff (hammers, chisels) and since there is little shade, sunscreen, hat, and water. 

Another thing I find fairly handy in packing the car with finds are beer flats, which you can stack (carefully!) when removing finds from the buckets for the drive home. 

BLT
2 minutes ago, Kane said:

Don't forget crazy glue!

That’s another item which I hadn’t even thought of needing. :wacko: 

digit
9 hours ago, taj said:

Should be possible to combine with Niagara Falls and Toronto/ROM. That will be quite a trip ....

That's exactly what we did last October--there is a lot to do and see int he area. :)

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/89693-eastern-seaboard-roadtrip-chicago-to-dc-featuring-niagara-october-2018/

Cheers.

-Ken

Bguild

Hmmm is this the year I decide to make the 8 hour drive from Boston... so tempting!

DevonianDigger

Well, we're almost entirely sold out, so decide quick and get your tickets!

Bguild
4 minutes ago, DevonianDigger said:

Well, we're almost entirely sold out, so decide quick and get your tickets!

Finding some complete trilobites is on my bucket list :trilo:

I have my smaller pry bars, chisels and rock hammers that I use to split Carboniferous aged shale over in MA and RI. How much heavy lifting/heavy duty tools are required for the weekend? It would be nice to meet up with you all!

Fossildude19

Your tools are fine. :) 

They will have a bunch of matrix busted up for the event. 

Well worth the trip, I'd say. ;) 

DevonianDigger

Almost no heavy lifting at all, no heavy duty tools needed, just hand tools like chisels and hammers. We do a full excavation with heavy machinery a month out and lay out piles to weather so that when the gates open on that Saturday you're finding fossils within minutes instead of pulling benches.

Malcolmt

As others have said your tools will be fine.... I will have plenty of heavier tools(shovels, bars, rock saw etc....) with me as I will be there for the weekend as well as the Friday and Monday. Send me a PM if you would like to meet up on the Friday or the Monday. On the Friday we will be working a bench somewhere other that the "Experts Dig" Area. Being a bit arrogant here, but learning how to properly dig a bench with me is worth being there for the Friday or Monday. If you can't be up one of the extra days make sure you introduce yourself to me as a Fossil Forum member during the Experts dig. I will be the homeless looking guy with the Jurassic Park hat and probably a Fossil Forum Tee shirt on.........unless Jay forces me to wear a Penn Dixie Tee which is not to shabby either. Hopefully Penn will have some nice Tee Shirts and hats available again this year for sale as they have in the past. My Penn shirt has been out on way too many excavations.....

It is going to be an absolutely AWESOME!!!! weekend. If you buy a ticket.... come out and don't spend the whole day talking to all the other Fossil geeks you will find complete trilobites.......

BLT

Are tickets delivered via email closer to the event date? 

DevonianDigger
2 hours ago, BLT said:

Are tickets delivered via email closer to the event date? 

Your name would just go on the list and when you check in they will just check for you on the list. No actual ticket I don't think.

BLT
1 hour ago, DevonianDigger said:

Your name would just go on the list and when you check in they will just check for you on the list. No actual ticket I don't think.

Gotcha. Thank you! (I’ve been wondering why I hadn’t received anything other than an order confirmation.) 

DevonianDigger
33 minutes ago, BLT said:

Gotcha. Thank you! (I’ve been wondering why I hadn’t received anything other than an order confirmation.) 

That's how it's worked in the past. I don't work in the office where they handle such things, I'm just a field grunt, lol.

Malcolmt

As far as I know names are just on a list of who paid, personally I am just hoping to be on Jay's he owes me a beer list....lol