Ms Michal

This piece was picked up by the road side infront of my house. Age unknown quary unknown. Some bits of quartz crystals.I'm thinking this is maybe a cast as the stem stands out the leaves do a little. Thank you for any help in identifying this twig.;)y

20190312_172321-1.jpg

20190312_172337-1.jpg

20190312_171104-1.jpg

20190312_171401-1.jpg

20190312_171154-1.jpg

20190312_171143-1.jpg

Agree not a fossil. The photos are kind of blurry but it looks like fractures and/or possible quartz vein that resembles a twig.

• I found this Informative 1

Thank you for your kind help. Sorry bout the extra posts. I have been researching my clay ball trying to figure out what fault location I'm in. Been studying for 4 days forgetting to eat. You've all been most kind. 

Rocks that contain plant fossils are typically darker in color due in part to the carbon content from the plants. My suggestion of worm holes was aimed at the possibility that they may be trace fossils. The rock type is unfamiliar to me though and mineral inclusions could also result in a similar appearance.  

• I found this Informative 3

Thank you Rockwood for your help. I appreciate it very much. Well off to the next rock or in this case a spherical clay and silt concretion. 

On 3/21/2019 at 3:49 AM, Rockwood said:

Rocks that contain plant fossils are typically darker in color due in part to the carbon content from the plants. My suggestion of worm holes was aimed at the possibility that they may be trace fossils. The rock type is unfamiliar to me though and mineral inclusions could also result in a similar appearance.  

Hi I was thinking about the rock type I don't think it's limestone if I remember my geology right. Limestones are more gray, it could be sandstone. So many rocks and minerals can morph into different stones lol. Thr carbon film I have read up on is when all the gases like oxygen are removed along with all the bodies minerals till all that is left is the carbon. That's an amazing process. It's probably just a cast of what once was. I started a dig site at one of the lowest places on the property praying I don't run into any snakeslol. I was amazed when I got back home to find I have found remanes of something not totally iron oxide. One of the small hematite rocks even looked like it had some sort of tiny bone or shell imbeded in it. I'm very encouraged at this find. They are defiantly not sandstone, and not limestone around here even if I found a real bone it would be stained by the iron oxide in the sandy soil.  I scrubbed one hard as I could with one of my toothbrushes and could not change the piece. Many times I pick up a piece of sandstone and try to clean it only to remove what I thought was a fossil. Rubs right off. The concreations I have researched either are the spherical or ovoid shape. Other than that the photos I saw did not have any pattern. When I see something in nature it always follows a pattern. For example you don't see pine cones on an elm tree. All the leaves on a tree follow a similar pattern, ever so often nature tosses a curve ball to keep us on our toes. Sorry I got carried away. I love rocks in all their glory and, to be a fossil hunter you need to know a bit of geochemistry and biochemistry. I've been on a road of amazing discovery. I will definitely let you know when I start to find anything good. ;)

Just keep your nose aimed towards the dirt & you'll find something awesome. Even if it isn't a fossil, it can be something cool. :thumbsu:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

15 minutes ago, Ms Michal said:

Hi I was thinking about the rock type I don't think it's limestone if I remember my geology right. Limestones are more gray, it could be sandstone. So many rocks and minerals can morph into different stones lol. Thr carbon film I have read up on is when all the gases like oxygen are removed along with all the bodies minerals till all that is left is the carbon. That's an amazing process. It's probably just a cast of what once was. I started a dig site at one of the lowest places on the property praying I don't run into any snakeslol. I was amazed when I got back home to find I have found remanes of something not totally iron oxide. One of the small hematite rocks even looked like it had some sort of tiny bone or shell imbeded in it. I'm very encouraged at this find. They are defiantly not sandstone, and not limestone around here even if I found a real bone it would be stained by the iron oxide in the sandy soil.  I scrubbed one hard as I could with one of my toothbrushes and could not change the piece. Many times I pick up a piece of sandstone and try to clean it only to remove what I thought was a fossil. Rubs right off. The concreations I have researched either are the spherical or ovoid shape. Other than that the photos I saw did not have any pattern. When I see something in nature it always follows a pattern. For example you don't see pine cones on an elm tree. All the leaves on a tree follow a similar pattern, ever so often nature tosses a curve ball to keep us on our toes. Sorry I got carried away. I love rocks in all their glory and, to be a fossil hunter you need to know a bit of geochemistry and biochemistry. I've been on a road of amazing discovery. I will definitely let you know when I start to find anything good. ;)

Not all limestones are gray. Just something to keep in mind. ;) 

Limestone color depends on the minerals involved in the makeup. 
The Green River Formation limestones can range from tan to yellow to brown. 

Many limestones in Texas range in color as well.

Hard to tell from the blurry photos, but it could also be chert.  :unsure: 

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

40 minutes ago, Ms Michal said:

Limestones are more gray, it could be sandstone. So many rocks and minerals can morph into different stones lol.

Along with what Tim said about color, I would add that not all rocks fit neatly into one class.

There are many "limestone" formations that have a high clay (shalel) content. These are often called shaly limestone or limey shale, dependent on mineral contents.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

57 minutes ago, ynot said:

Along with what Tim said about color, I would add that not all rocks fit neatly into one class.

There are many "limestone" formations that have a high clay (shalel) content. These are often called shaly limestone or limey shale, dependent on mineral contents.

Indeed, 'limestone' is a spectrum of the manifestations of calcium carbonate, with many, many variations of impurities. Kinda' like 'air', if you know what I mean.;)

• I found this Informative 3

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

2 hours ago, Ms Michal said:

I've been on a road of amazing discovery. I will definitely let you know when I start to find anything good. ;)

:dinothumb:

On 3/27/2019 at 2:19 PM, ynot said:

This just proves what I said you almost need chemistry to figure it all out lol. Thank you for your help. 

On 3/27/2019 at 1:45 PM, Fossildude19 said:

I've read about the gray colors but not the others. Thank you. 

On 3/27/2019 at 1:45 PM, Fossildude19 said:

I think I gave your answer to the wrong person :) I was just saying to the other poster I hadn't read about other colors than gray. Thank you for the help.

3 minutes ago, Ms Michal said:

This just proves what I said you almost need chemistry to figure it all out lol.

After awhile You get to notice the differences, but for the most part using the basic names works fine. Just be aware there are differences within any "class" of rock.

:fistbump:

On 3/27/2019 at 1:32 PM, daves64 said:

Just keep your nose aimed towards the dirt & you'll find something awesome. Even if it isn't a fossil, it can be something cool. :thumbsu:

Roflmao to tell you the truth. My first dig did bring up some interesting jumbles. The problem is they are very tiny and thin. About the size of a normal thumbnail. I look and look at them I can see what looks like a tiny tooth and a few bones on another piece. But they are so small I don't know how I could get decent picks with my cell phone. 

8 minutes ago, ynot said:

After awhile You get to notice the differences, but for the most part using the basic names works fine. Just be aware there are differences within any "class" of rock.

:fistbump:

Yes I agree I've been reading and researching so much my brain is getting numb lol. I wanted to go out and dig more today but I wasn't feeling well. Next time I'm taking my trusty garden tool. I used a screwdriver and a claw hammer. I spent a lot of energy for very little profit. I had all the other basics of comfort. Just forgot the one tool I really needed. Thank you again for your help.

On 3/27/2019 at 3:26 PM, Auspex said:

Indeed, 'limestone' is a spectrum of the manifestations of calcium carbonate, with many, many variations of impurities. Kinda' like 'air', if you know what I mean.;)

Oooh I see glass is that way. It starts out clear but, as it ages it changes colors because of the minerals in the sand they used that day. I saw a set in a antique shop where I had a booth. It was the most perfect shade of amethyst just breathtaking. You find alot of blue and green. So yes I understand sometimes I don't always get it lol fast like my late husband. He was so smart. But anyway I get it now. Thank you so much.:)

40 minutes ago, Ms Michal said:

I see glass is that way. It starts out clear but, as it ages it changes colors because of the minerals in the sand they used that day.

Natural glass is green, brown or aqua colored. (From the iron content of the sand used.)

Clear glass (and all other colors) are made by adding other elements. cobalt = blue,  gold or selenium = red,  and clear glass is infused with lead or manganese.

Manganese was used to make clear bottles from the 1870's until WW1. if there is excessive manganese it will cause the glass to turn purple (amethyst) when exposed to ultraviolet light. (The more the darker the purple.)

The Wheaton glass bottle had a copious amount added to make the dark purple color intentionally.

17 hours ago, ynot said:

Natural glass is green, brown or aqua colored. (From the iron content of the sand used.)

Clear glass (and all other colors) are made by adding other elements. cobalt = blue,  gold or selenium = red,  and clear glass is infused with lead or manganese.

Manganese was used to make clear bottles from the 1870's until WW1. if there is excessive manganese it will cause the glass to turn purple (amethyst) when exposed to ultraviolet light. (The more the darker the purple.)

The Wheaton glass bottle had a copious amount added to make the dark purple color intentionally.

What I'm talking about is old glass. I was into antiques for a while.....well I still am lol.  I just don't have a shop anymore. Glass that was meant to blown and hand cut for the very rich was clear but, now it is changing it's colors. Pretty cool during the civil war the glass making companies stopped making leaded glass which is one way you can tell the age of glass. Besides the pontil mark on the bottom I probably spelled that word wrong lol.  It's near impossible to trace some glass making masters here in the US each one had their own designs that they took with them if they quit and went to some other glass making factory. With the exception of a few of the better known companies.  Ooops sorry I hijacked my own topic sorry I got carried away but even the process of glass making where they melt quartz or other grains of sand that's already millions of years old and it still morphes and changes colors so cool.