Lavernock bone bed

Pterygotus

This is being sold as a bone bed from Lavernock, Wales. It is labelled as possibly dinosaur. It is rhaetic triassic. Could it be dinosaur?

A8335F71-E0D0-4EA0-9ADD-764A14B1E488.jpeg

The age shouldn't be a problem.

Identifying it from this photo is going to be though. I'm not sure there is anything diagnostic there.

• I found this Informative 2

The bone measures 79.2 mm / 33 mm.

5c900ff677c00_lavernock-bone-bed-possibly-dinosaur-4-653-p.thumb.jpg.59b6b59826a5cc60fbd43b3cf619a761.jpg5c90100970dec_lavernock-bone-bed-possibly-dinosaur-2-653-p.thumb.jpg.0c80d93fea13d1f4840bded466a2a41c.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

It looks like plesiosaur or ichthyosaur but it's quite thick, I find it unlikely that it's dinosaur.

19 hours ago, JohnBrewer said:

Maybe ichthyosaur coprolite?  Unusual to see it that colour as all the Triassic coprolite (fish) is black from there. I’ve not found icthyosaur coprolite there but it must exist. 

Coprolite maybe @GeschWhat @Carl?

The grain definitely supports a bone ID. But I can see how it looks like a spiral coprolite. I think that's just an illusion caused by the parallel, transverse breaks.

• I found this Informative 3

I agree. In that bone bed coprolites are present, but the specimen in question is a bone. Plesiosaur or Ichthyosaur might have a good entrance in this.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

• 2 years later...

I agree that the texture and consistency of the fossil are consistent with bone, moreover pachyosteosclerotic bone, thereby implying marine reptile. Based on the width, thickness and overall shape of the bone, I'd say jaw bone, ichthyosaur scapula or plesiosaur ilium are possible candidates:

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett