I was wondering if anyone here can tell me if this is legitimate or not? The seller says it's a museum quality piece, but after looking at it and the back I question. It almost sounds hollow when I knock on it. Would love any feedback, trying to build up my collection and thought this was a very nice looking fossil, but I know very little. 

Jaw.jpg

jaw 2.jpg

jaw 3.jpg

Hopefully, the experts will soon chime in. @Tidgy's Dad

From what I know of these Moroccan jaws is that they are clever (and sometimes not so clever) composites with loose teeth fit into sand/glue matrix and the jawbone sometimes real but often carved and painted. Quite often they add in the lower jaw as well--why not enjoy a little artistic license? The general rule of thumb is if it looks too good for the price then it is likely a fake. Those on the forum who are more knowledgeable about mosasaur fossils can attest to what they find real about this piece and what they find fake.

It was a brilliant idea to seek some guidance on this fossil--welcome to the forum! You'll enjoy this place if you like fossils. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

11778228_871631579590987_1349320175_n.jpg

post-423-12753549446651.jpg

Mosasaur_Jaw_HolSale_clipped_rev_1_2048x@2x.jpeg

FAKEFossilMosasaurJawFAKE_880x.jpg

107751046_bc93374048.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Not an expert, but no need to be one to tell. Definitely a composite.

The teeth are stuck on to this bone material which I’m not even sure is a jaw piece.

Much to regular and perfect. Avoid it.

Regards

• I found this Informative 2

The jawbone is composed of a mixture of present day bones and matrix and fossil bone from other animals to my knowledge. the teeth are real, and probably Prognathodon. U can see that the teeth is placed on the jawboned unnaturally. I would pass on this piece. Its often faked. But ofcourse there are people with alot more knowledge than me! 

• I found this Informative 1

32 minutes ago, CH Fossils said:

But of course there are people with alot more knowledge than me! 

Yeah, but they don't have such a great furry hat as you do. :)

Welcome to the forum as well.

Cheers.

-Ken

24 minutes ago, digit said:

Yeah, but they don't have such a great furry hat as you do. :)

Welcome to the forum as well.

Cheers.

-Ken

haha, thanks! 

Wow, that's exactly what I needed to hear. I figured too good to be true, but always good to get a second (or third or fourth or fifth or....) opinion on this. I have always collected simple fossils, ones that I've dug out myself, but thought it might be fun to add a few nicer ones to my shelf as well. I've already got one Megalodon tooth and some other items, but want something a bit more substantial. 

Composite matrix often has a sort of lumpy/smeared look and it's also often lack subtlety in colouration. It basically looks like sand that's been glued on.

Real matrix has much more subtle variety. There will be cracks you'd see in rock, there might be inclusions or all kinds of fossils. And real matrix can have a variety of colour changes in blotches and bands.

• I found this Informative 4

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

5 hours ago, lakeview206 said:

I have always collected simple fossils, ones that I've dug out myself, but thought it might be fun to add a few nicer ones to my shelf as well. I've already got one Megalodon tooth and some other items, but want something a bit more substantial. 

I personally stick to fossils that I've found myself. For me the experience of finding fossils is the real treasure--the fossils themselves (however lovely) are just reminders of the fun and excitement I've had in the field discovering something old that is new to me.

There are plenty of nicer fossils out there that are genuine. Depending on the type, they may leave a larger hole in your wallet but when you see something that catches your eye and you have any questions about its authenticity, you know where you can come for an opinion (or several). ;)

Lots to learn in this forum--hope you spend some time year taking in a bit of the accumulated knowledge.

Cheers.

-Ken

Nothing needs adding here. 

One of many fakes of a similar type. 

Thing is they have a kazillion of the teeth that they can't sell, but they can sell jaws so it's too much for them to resist.

Welcome to the forum from Morocco.:)

And @CH Fossils, Furry hats are cool! 

Mushroom.thumb.jpg.41dda3bf11561bd1c4b940170fb66c42.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

On 3/19/2019 at 6:53 PM, Tidgy's Dad said:

Nothing needs adding here. 

One of many fakes of a similar type. 

Thing is they have a kazillion of the teeth that they can't sell, but they can sell jaws so it's too much for them to resist.

Welcome to the forum from Morocco.:)

And @CH Fossils, Furry hats are cool! 

Mushroom.thumb.jpg.41dda3bf11561bd1c4b940170fb66c42.jpg

Good grief....Are you actually in the Adam! ;) 

Never buy Mosa's or Keicho's.
Those guys are getting better and better in those fake's.
I like to do the following when meeting such a merchant in person: I will ask them are you sure this is real and tell them to think about there answer because Karma is watching you.
If the reply is Yes I take the Jaw and hold it under water a fake will fall apart. They can't copy the orginal rock and this is a easy way to find out.
They do get really mad though.

Well, I wouldn’t recommend damaging items one has not yet paid for...:unsure:

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

45 minutes ago, xxxhalsteren said:

Never buy Mosa's or Keicho's.
Those guys are getting better and better in those fake's.
I like to do the following when meeting such a merchant in person: I will ask them are you sure this is real and tell them to think about there answer because Karma is watching you.
If the reply is Yes I take the Jaw and hold it under water a fake will fall apart. They can't copy the orginal rock and this is a easy way to find out.
They do get really ##### though.

This is not OK to do. We do not endorse doing any such thing. :( 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

44 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

This is not OK to do. We do not endorse doing any such thing. :( 

This for everybody different based on there opion.
In my country I'm legaly allowed to investigated the authenticity of fossils that are offered to me because I have the education degree that is required.
The seller is breaking the law but, there need to be evidence that the seller is aware before offering it's a fake. It's impossible to proof this and I settle for the thought of one person that is spared this scam.

@xxxhalsteren

As long as it is allowed in your country, fine. Stating that it is acceptable in your country should have been made apparent in your post.  :( 

This is not allowed in the United States, and probably many other countries.  

Being an internationally used Forum, we need to make sure people are aware of what is and isn't allowed, and where it is allowed. ;) 

There are other, less destructive/extreme ways to tell fakes, the best among them being knowledgeable of how they are made, and what they look like. 

We encourage people to post the fossils they are interested in here, before they buy. Learning what real fossils should look like can help people to avoid getting scammed.  :) 

Knowledge is power. 

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

@xxxhalsteren

As long as it is allowed in your country, fine. Stating that it is acceptable in your country should have been made apparent in your post.  :( 

This is not allowed in the United States, and probably many other countries.  

Being an internationally used Forum, we need to make sure people are aware of what is and isn't allowed, and where it is allowed. ;) 

There are other, less destructive ways to tell fakes, the best among them being knowledgeable of how they are made, and what they look like. 

We encourage people to post the fossils they are interested in here, before they buy. Learning what real fossils should look like can help people to avoid getting scammed.  :) 

Knowledge is power. 

Personaly I like to see the good in every person till proven otherwise. I wasn't aware it's required to state this because, I do hope people are aware that I never will do something that's illegal. I do believe that taking the Usa as benchamark is insane. I'm aware of the pride people have there but, The fact is the Netherlands is doing far better on alot of important matters such as Gay marriage, religion accepthens , crime rates etc etc. I don't wanna start the debate that's pointless. All I'm trying to explain is that we should not take our own country laws as the right one. I hope I'm not offending english is not my native tongue and some people don't get that my message is that we all could learn from each other.

15 minutes ago, xxxhalsteren said:

Your message is understandable, if a bit rough around the edges.  ;) 

However if you have to start with "I don't wanna start a debate that's pointless.", it is something that probably shouldn't be posted here.  :(

I was not holding the USA out as a benchmark. The simple fact is, the majority of the members here are American.

BUT,  ... Laws are different everywhere.  This needs to be taken into consideration when posting on an international forum.  :unsure: 

The action you described is illegal here, and probably elsewhere. We do not condone any illegal actions, in any country. We have to make sure that is known.

Not to mention, that destroying a fake fossil is unnecessary. Many resellers are not even aware that what they are selling is fake. 

Destroying a product, no matter how fake, deprives the seller of their product. Something that they have paid for.  :( 

This doesn't seem quite as progressive as your other methods of dealing with other important matters.  :headscratch: 

• I found this Informative 7