capital reef utah oysters

ober

Hello all,

I’d appreciate help with two sets of oyster fossils from Capital Reef, Utah. This post has one object, another post will have the other, due to photo size constraints. These were collected to the E of Capital Reef, in south of Rt 24, 4.2 miles outside the park, on a road heading south. From other discussion, I see references to a limited range of species found here, some posts on the Forum and other places, say they find a single species (Pycnodonte). I think I have something different.The pictures on this post are a cluster rounded oblong shapes, ranging from about 1” to somewhat larger. The picture is from the top and from the bottom. Any help appreciated. Thanks. Tom

3CF06FBF-27A7-4FC3-AC88-590662661D92.jpeg

F9B32F45-36DB-479C-B320-0C6BD01CF55A.jpeg

Hi, if you want to post more photos, to avoid the problem of charging, quit the page, come back again on it and use the answer function.

By the way, i think your item is geologic, i don't see any pycnodonts on it.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

In this area, just E of Capital Reef,  are there only pycnodonts and nothing else, or little else? It is strange but when I was there I saw lots of things like I’ve pictured but no devil’s toenails - pycnodonts. I wonder that if this is not a fossil, what process formed this unusual structure? I’m new to this type of fossil. Thanks for your comment. 

Maybe @ynot would chime in.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

In memory of Doren

Thanks, I’ll have to get back to the Capital Reef area and look again for the ostensibly oh so plentiful pycnodonts.

I'm sure you'll be successful.:dinothumb:

In memory of Doren

Agreed, not seeing any oysters-or-related here, looks like just a jumble of rocks...

In the beds where they do occur, oysters usually tend to be quite common (at least one species), so if there are oysters known from that location you should find at least one species rather commonly. Take in mind that this isn't a set fact, just an observation I have made from all my fossil shell hunting (so it might not apply to your location) :) 

I'd love to see some pictures of the oysters you do manage to find!

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Yes, in the vein if at first you don’t succeed, etc, I will be back through Torrey towards the end of spring and will look again. Now I have a better idea of what I am not looking for and know what to look for. It is interesting in that when I was in the area last summer I didn’t see any pycnodonts but lots of others things I mistook as fossils. On the forum I’ve seen references that this area is really pretty mono-species. While

I will visit the area just to the E of Capital Reef, if there are other locales that might be fruitful I’d enjoy hearing about them. 

• I found this Informative 1

I gathered some devils toenails there about 25 years ago- they were all over the ground, loose- it may be that they have been picked over pretty well by now-

It is surprising how something that is so bountiful can be depleted- but I' think we have all seen that happen t certain sites over the years.

• I found this Informative 1