ober

capital reef oysters II

ober

Hello all

Here is a companion query for help. This item is flat, tapered to the top and slightly concave from the underside. The two pictures are a top view and a bottom view. It is about 2” thick. The scaliness, if there is such a word, looks like Exogyra, but does not have the curved narrow end described for Exogyra. I assumed this was a flat mollusk shell when I picked it up (E of Capital Reef, south of Rt 24, about 4 miles outside the park) but can’t find a match with the limited references I have. Help appreciated. Thanks. Tom

CD32C959-E557-403A-B6BE-1D254A62E351.jpeg

49CCD137-DE24-4683-A796-8BAEFBE6F21D.jpeg

fifbrindacier

As in your other post, i think this item is also geologic, but i agree it does look like an Oyster.

ober

yes, I think you might be right here. Handling it, it comes apart in small slivers and might not have the cohesiveness of a solid structure. I will pick at it to see if it is just a residual piece of sedimentary rock. And I was so hopeful when I found it. Sigh. 

ynot

Looks like a siltstone to Me.

Agin not a fossil.

ober

Thank you. I’ve been handling it gently thinking it was a fossil but today started peeling it apart layer by layer. Just a sedimentary fragment. Oh well. Out to the garden with it. 

Mark Kmiecik

Keep peeling those layers. In between those sedimentary layers is where fossils are preserved. Watch a video of Green River Wyoming fish fossil quarrying. Always worth checking sedimentary layers for possible fossil preservation. Barren most of the time, but occasionally, yeehaw!

ober

thanks, good advice.