Would these be tilly bones?

Beth de la Garza

Would these be tilly bones of some sort?  I have found the heart shaped tilly bone but never this shape. Thank you so much

A991DC72-090C-4EF8-AE23-59EA56B1E7C9.jpeg

8086BEB1-4C41-4958-B31B-9E2ADE0C30FD.jpeg

Check out Sphoeroides hyperostosus A postcleithrum bone that supports the forelimbs of a pufferfish as a possibility. You did not mention an age or the size which would help in the ID. Look at fossils from Aurora in NC  PS my bad guess I am color blind completely missed the ruler. Sorry

Edited by fossilnut
correction
  • I found this Informative 2

Sorry to only bring destructive ID's, but they're definitely not bivalve steinkerns. 

And I don't think they're a fish (post-)cleithrum either, these are usually not symmetrical (at least from all the ones I've seen), while yours present a pretty much perfect symmetry. The one proposed by @fossilnut can be seen here if you scroll down to 5th from last (postcleithrum), and it really doesn't seem similar to me at all. 

But you can have fun looking at all the bones here because I do think that fossilnut was on the right tracks, I also think this is some kind of fish bone (click on the images of each species to open a new link with all the pictures of the bones of that species). Hopefully you find something similar :) 

Very interesting things!

Best regards,

Max

• I found this Informative 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

18 hours ago, Beth de la Garza said:

Would these be tilly bones of some sort?

I think they are hyperostosed (Tilley) bones. Are these modern or fossil?

• I found this Informative 1

I believe they are modern, but I have found many fossils on the same beach I found these. I found them at different times so they are not from the same animal. . They  have a bit of a klink when I knock them against the tile counter. Not like a modern bone. Thanks so much for your help. I thought maybe they were some sort of enlarged bone. I have found the common shaped tilly bone also.