digit

Montbrook volunteer dig March 2019

Darktooth

What a great report, Ken! I really enjoyed reading this and looking over the pics. During our hunt together, you told me a bit about this site. Now this kind of puts a face to it. I am glad you and Tammy enjoyed yourselves.:dinothumb:

Dave

ynot

Sounds like a lot of fun. Y'all did good on the gomph bones this time.

Thanks for sharing the visit again.

DPS Ammonite

Thanks Ken @digit for the nice write up.

What is the story behind the site’s accumulation of fossils? Why are so many at the site; was there a sudden catastrophic event such as a flood or hurricane?

Tidgy's Dad

Excellent report! 

Most enjoyable and informative.:)

Monica

Wow, Ken - what an interesting few days for you and Tammy (especially Tammy, at least at the very start of the trip :P)!!!  Congrats on the outstanding finds!!!

connorp

Wow. Great on the landowner for being so accommodating. Looks like a lot of fun.

dirtdauber

Really nice report, Ken. I've spent several days at Montbrook during the past couple of seasons and really enjoyed working there. -- George

jcbshark

Looks like a lot of fun Ken, great pics as always :fistbump:

Shellseeker

Wow Ken. Very nice and love the level of detail.:fistbump:. I have a bunch of photos from my trip also and even a few from the Lab preparers.  You should craft this into a book or at least a pamphlet:  Tales of a Montbrook volunteer

IMG_1925.jpg.e59b780249aae48f2b9a8cb6efad4ee3.jpg

I have wondered what happened to that other tusk....

digit
4 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

You should craft this into a book or at least a pamphlet:  Tales of a Montbrook volunteer

Hah! I read that wrong the first time and thought someone had already created this in blog or PDF form. I was looking forward to reading it. :P For now, I think I'll limit my publishing to War and Peace length trip reports here on the forum. When I finally get translocated up to Gainesville and I'm able to spend significantly more time volunteering, I may be moved to chronicle my exploits in some sort of blog form for the FLMNH or possibly just keep a running thread going here with updates as interesting events unfold.

4 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

I have wondered what happened to that other tusk....

They've found isolated tusks (both upper and lower as this beastie had two sets) at the site. I'm surprised that this mandible had at least one still attached.

Cheers.

-Ken

DeepTimeIsotopes

Wow, I don’t know about you but this is what I imagined being a paleontologist looks like when I was a kid. Nice report!

digit

It's fun to play paleontologist for a day (or 4). Though you don't get to keep any of the fossils you find, you can take all the photos you want (as you can see). You get to dig on a very fossil rich site and all of the finds go to the museum and you get to claim mild fame as your specimens are logged into the collections database with you listed as the original collector. It's a great time and a spectacular opportunity to be able to assist digging on a very important fossil site providing a rare glimpse into the fauna of Florida (and the southeastern US) during a time period (~5.6-5.0 mya) that is not very well known as there are few fossil rich sites of this time period.

This season's dig dates are over next week and they'll be tarping and sand-bagging the site for the rainy season. Digs will be starting up again usually sometime in October. Anybody visiting Florida during the dig season is encouraged to participate. It's less than 2 hours north of the much visited tourist sites in Orlando (the House of Mouse and the like). Consider spending part of your next Florida vacation on something more fulfilling (and cheaper) than theme parks. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

jpc

Hey Ken-  Looks like a great trip.  Thanks for taking us along.  Say Howdy to Tammy for me.   

digit

Will do so.

Fond memories of our time collecting out in Wyoming with you. Looking forward to our next trip out to the west.

Cheers.

-Ken