Pretty shells

Jackson g

I know brachipod and bivalves are common and many people often overlook them, but I figured i'd share some of mine i found this past month that I enjoy. A lot of them take on a white or orange color. 1 Has some bryozoans as well I believe. 

20190319_205421-1.thumb.jpg.c99b1cb05e3de16889b3e6ce1d74a807.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

5 and 6 I was able to get the peice and some matrix out together. They both come out, and fit back in as snug as a bug in a rug.

20190318_010347-1-1.jpg

20190318_003045-1-1-1.jpg

Beautiful finds. :wub:

I'm a huge fan of brachiopods and bryozoa. 

Those fenestellid bryozoans are beautiful and some of the productid and spiriferid brachiopods really lovely. 

Where were they found? 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Thank you, and here in my home county of Henry County, Missouri. I'm hesitant to give out the exact location because the land owner unfortunately has a bad poaching problem currently. People have been poaching deer and leaving behind all they don't want. :blush:

Verrry, very nice, thanks or sharing!

2 hours ago, Jackson g said:

I'm hesitant to give out the exact location

No need to give the exact location, but do you know the formation?

(Roughly, most of Henry county (1896 km2) seems to be Pennsylvanian, about 10% Mississippian and very few Ordovician.)

Thanks!
Franz Bernhard

Some of us do not overlook brachiopods and bivalves. It's not all about dinosaurs and sharks.

We're seeing lots of big brachiopods lately, between you and @Nimravis !  Great stuff. I'm glad you retained the matrix for those loose ones. Makes a great display of context.

• I found this Informative 2

8 hours ago, Jackson g said:

20190318_002909-1.jpg

Hi,
What are the small round marks on the prints ? Any traces of predation ?

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

13 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Verrry, very nice, thanks or sharing!

No need to give the exact location, but do you know the formation?

(Roughly, most of Henry county (1896 km2) seems to be Pennsylvanian, about 10% Mississippian and very few Ordovician.)

Thanks!
Franz Bernhard

I'm sure most are Carboniferous, probably late pennsylvanian to mississipian. Not sure of formation, as the area is underwater most of the time. I've lately been diving and grabing some rock I think feels right and surface it. The area has a lot of clay deep down, and a lot of chert, dolostone, and sedimentary rock. I'll provide more accurate info when I can.

On 3/20/2019 at 2:05 AM, Coco said:

Hi,
What are the small round marks on the prints ? Any traces of predation ?

Coco

Hello, i'm not 100% sure if it's the way it fossilized, or if they are tiny possible mollusk bite marks on the surface of the shells. I'm more inclined to think the second of the two. Edit* Come to think of it, it could be some other soft bodied organism. Someone here may know more than me.

Edited by Jackson g
Edit

10 Another decent sized, haven't started prep yet. Sometimes the rocks are huge and take a lot of time to work out with my hand tools. It is a labor of love though.

20190320_144310-1.jpg

11 Just got off my 12 hour shift to go see how flooded one spot was, and flooded it was very! No access to the juicey spots, so I thought I'd check the shallows for scraps. Came away with gold.

20190321_110512-1.jpg