Pretty shells

Jackson g

Decided to remove that little druzy brachidium from the earlier posted partial brach I found. 

20200524_132848.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Looks like I missed a few updates, so I went back through the thread. 

I really like your finds here Jackson! The preservation of the lophophore on some specimens, the crystallization, the golden coloring, etc. Beautiful stuff! :wub:

Excuse me while I wipe the drool from my mouth... :drool:  

• I found this Informative 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

On 5/24/2020 at 1:54 PM, FossilNerd said:

Looks like I missed a few updates, so I went back through the thread. 

I really like your finds here Jackson! The preservation of the lophophore on some specimens, the crystallization, the golden coloring, etc. Beautiful stuff! :wub:

Excuse me while I wipe the drool from my mouth... :drool:  

Thanks so much! Brachiopods sure do bring me joy, and I'm glad to share and have others enjoy them too! I hope it inspires more Missourians to get out there and fossil hunt. I'm spoiled and have a lot of variety and formations in my area, but it just never ceases to amaze me I'm always the only one out collecting it.

• I found this Informative 2

A tiny brachiopod I prepared earlier today out of its cherty matrix home. I just love the mineral staining on the back valve. Pretty unique!

20200524_182458.jpg

20200524_182520.jpg

5 minutes ago, Jackson g said:

I'm spoiled and have a lot of variety and formations in my area, but it just never ceases to amaze me I'm always the only one out collecting it.

I have a similar situation! There are many amazing exposures, with fossils everywhere, around my neck of the woods, but I have yet to run into anyone else hunting them when I’m out there. I know there are some others that collect here, but obviously not many. I haven’t been to some of the more popular, and well documented exposures yet though. I’m sure if I went to Maysville, I wouldn’t be the only one there. 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't done much brachiopod prep in a while, so here's another neat one I purposely scribed some shell away to expose the crystally inner support.

20200614_182858.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

Cleaned up my first ever ammonite fossil today. I cannot get over how beautiful the suture patterns are on these animals' shell.

20200619_195644.jpg

20200619_192452.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

• 2 weeks later...

Finished cleaning up this nice rugose coral this morning. It has an orange color with some beekite rings.

20200701_130905.jpg

20200701_130932.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

6 hours ago, Jackson g said:

Finished cleaning up this nice rugose coral this morning. It has an orange color with some beekite rings.

I really like this one Jackson! I have a soft spot for beekite, and the orange color is super cool on the horn coral. All of the beekite I have found has been white.  :) 

On 7/1/2020 at 7:47 PM, FossilNerd said:

I really like this one Jackson! I have a soft spot for beekite, and the orange color is super cool on the horn coral. All of the beekite I have found has been white.  :) 

Thanks, I too really like this one's color. I got lucky, the nice orange corals only appear in a specific layer at one of my Burlington Formation locations. All the others produce the familiar pale white fossils and white color beekite, like this dirty one.

20200105_082932.thumb.jpg.e18c30e112b27dc4a7f8fee40c609640.jpg

Found and cleaned two different good examples of Burlington Formation blastoids. Correct me if my IDs are wrong, blastoids aren't my strong suit.

Globoblastus norwoodi

20200706_143220.jpg

20200706_143159.jpg

Hit the road today on my day off to do some recon on some exposures I haven't yet searched. I lucked out, and the last spot had exposed Burlington chert and limestone. I happily walked home with my favorite type of treasure from the new spot, after a long hot day. I'm 50/50 on if I want to continue to prep it completely free out of the matrix or not.

20200711_194607.jpg

Unfortunately the spiralia are not complete due to partial weathering from what was exposed to the elements. It was tricky to get a good photo of the almost complete one though!

20200711_195052.jpg

Got another sweet brach in the process of prep currently, thanks to the new exposure I found last weekend. I figured this was worth sharing in the meantime though, not too often one finds an almost complete crinoid in the scraps.

20200717_141725.jpg

Cool, but not much left there nonetheless. Easy to see the outline of the calyx, stem, and arms.

20200717_141938.jpg

Love the crinoids Jackson! There are some very productive crinoid layers near me in the Borden Formation, but it's mostly fragments and individual columnals. I would lose my mind if I found something like this in the scree! 

19 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

Love the crinoids Jackson! There are some very productive crinoid layers near me in the Borden Formation, but it's mostly fragments and individual columnals. I would lose my mind if I found something like this in the scree! 

Thanks me too, I was happy to find it! Though I don't share too many of my crinoid finds anymore. I understand that though, finding a lot of bits and pieces. Only certain spots in my area produce nice, uncompressed calyxs worth prepping and cleaning.

While removing that one from its chert home, this partial one was revealed. I have had good luck with tiny brachiopod steinkerns like this with the delicate calcite shells, so like in the past I decided to do some dissection. It's hard to get a picture of these spiralia because they are coated in so much druzy!

20200718_164628.jpg

20200718_164606.jpg

Not every disection produces results. Heres 2 of the same species of (probably) composita brachiopods I found on my last hunt. The first I entered in FOTM and with great results, the second shows you what I end up with more than often.

20200721_064248.jpg

20200719_141109.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

2 hours ago, Jackson g said:

Not every disection produces results. Heres 2 of the same species of (probably) composita brachiopods I found on my last hunt. The first I entered in FOTM and with great results, the second shows you what I end up with more than often.

20200721_064248.jpg

Gorgeous specimen. :wub:

Tarquin

• 2 weeks later...

After much success yesterday, I went back out again today to hit up some more Burlington Limestone. It really is amazing how quick the crinoidal packstone, limestone, and grainstones weather after some heavy rain. Heres the top 3 finds for today I wanted to share!

To start off we have a very nice, and rarer species from my honey hole of an exposure, a crinoid! An Actinocrinus scitulus I spent about 3 hours scraping matrix off. It would benefit from air abrasion, but I only have aluminum oxide currently and would rather not burn off the detailed plates.

20200731_215008.jpg

20200731_214538.jpg

20200731_214454.jpg

I guess this is just my week for rare finds. Second up we have the forth I've found, and largest yet Deltodus sp. crushing tooth! This one doesn't have great color, but it's still nice in my eyes. These teeth that have weathered out of the limestone don't last very long in this condition, or at all to say the least. They are porous, pop off the encrinite stone, and destroy so quickly after a rainstorm that in my opinion it's pretty lucky to find them on the matrix, or free of it at all. You can easily feel the dimples covering the surface when you run your finger across the plate.

20200731_214425.jpg

Last but not least, we have a cute Platyceras gastropod from the chert layer that weathered down into the scraps. I took my time with it, so the curl was kept!

20200731_214932.jpg

That's all until next time. :brachiopod:

On 7/31/2020 at 11:24 PM, Jackson g said:

I guess this is just my week for rare finds. Second up we have the forth I've found, and largest yet Deltodus sp. crushing tooth!

That's a pretty nice and big tooth plate. I might be more inclined to call this Psephodus. It's similar to 58.C below (from the Handbook of Paleoichthyology Vol. 4). Hard to tell without the specimen in hand.

5f28aec191a7e_ScreenShot2020-08-03at7_40_46PM.thumb.png.40ba79927d74f88bf525f1add4cf9fc8.png

That said, I would try not to get super caught up on trying to identify these crusher tooth plates. There are many undescribed "species" plus morphological variations within "species". I say "species" because many of them are based on only isolated tooth plates, which in some cases likely came from completely different animals. Really a whole messy business.