Pretty shells

Jackson g

1 hour ago, Ruger9a said:

Love the golden spirals.

It is fascinating to see them preserved given how old and delicate they are. All I did was pluck this up and clean it off with soap and a tooth brush!

20191126_180513.jpg

20191126_181106.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

• 2 weeks later...

Had a nice sized chert nodule sitting in the front yard for some time. I decided to give it a good wack with the maul, and out popped this little beauty with both valves.

20191208_031647.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

• 4 weeks later...

Heres another nice shell, but a gastropod this time. It seems to be a Turritella sp. of gastropod. I'm still finishing final cleaning on it, but so far it's nice and looks almost complete. This is the only one I've found in my area.

20191231_023639.jpg

20191231_023933.jpg

Found this during the beggining of my walk this morning, and immediately went back home to do a little scribing and abbraiding. It's nice and seems to be complete, though its unfortunate the wings are a bit weathered. No time to finish prep today unfortunately.

20200101_100556.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/19/2019 at 10:55 PM, Jackson g said:

9 One I'm currently working out of matrix

20190319_225303.jpg

I'm not sure why I never finished cleaning this last year, but it's probably the biggest single valve I found all year. I used some abbrasives this morning to finish cleaning off the tough limestone around the beak. 

20200116_123522.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

• 1 month later...

I haven't shared much this year, so here are a couple of things I've recently finished cleaning up. Starting with some nice Platyceras gastropods.

20200228_233933.jpg

20200307_183902.jpg

20200229_160042.jpg

Glad I found this thread again and caught up with what I had missed. :wub:

The variety and quality of some of these finds is astonishing. 

Of course, i love the brachiopods most and some of the brachidia / spiralia are really beautiful, but the crinoids and other fossils are wonderful too, I love building up a picture of the ancient communties that lived in these long ago places. 

Thanks for sharing and I am very :envy:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

What Adam said!

Nice specimens, and you're doing nice work prepping them too.

Does that 2nd-to-last spiriferid come loose out of the rock? It looks like it's a steinkern like all the others (but particularly nice one). Love that huge one too, and the brachidia in the last piece.

On 3/8/2020 at 7:11 PM, Tidgy's Dad said:

Glad I found this thread again and caught up with what I had missed. :wub:

The variety and quality of some of these finds is astonishing. 

Of course, i love the brachiopods most and some of the brachidia / spiralia are really beautiful, but the crinoids and other fossils are wonderful too, I love building up a picture of the ancient communties that lived in these long ago places. 

Thanks for sharing and I am very :envy:

Well thank you! I know you love brachiopods as well, so I'm happy to share some cool stuff here. After a recent separation, I've been finding it hard to get out of the house. I could only bear being out for about 15 minutes last trip, and I wasn't even excited for those sweet golden spirals I stumbled upon at first. Hopefully I can bring myself to turn that around sooner than later and get back out there more in the future!

On 3/8/2020 at 8:30 PM, Wrangellian said:

What Adam said!

Nice specimens, and you're doing nice work prepping them too.

Does that 2nd-to-last spiriferid come loose out of the rock? It looks like it's a steinkern like all the others (but particularly nice one). Love that huge one too, and the brachidia in the last piece.

Thanks for the compliments Eric. I've been trying to get better with prep work, it takes time though lol. I'm not a patient person either, so that doesn't help. But yes, that last brach steinkern does pop too like previous ones I've done. I love to clean them up so they can pop out, and back in it's original matrix home. I left it in place while taking photos because the tip of the right wing came lose during prep, and it's pretty fragile. 

2 hours ago, Jackson g said:

Well thank you! I know you love brachiopods as well, so I'm happy to share some cool stuff here. After a recent separation, I've been finding it hard to get out of the house. I could only bear being out for about 15 minutes last trip, and I wasn't even excited for those sweet golden spirals I stumbled upon at first. Hopefully I can bring myself to turn that around sooner than later and get back out there more in the future!

I hope that you soon get back into the swing of it, but understand it can be difficult and take time.

I often can't get out of the house because of health problems which is also rather frustrating. :eyeroll: 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

On 3/14/2020 at 3:11 PM, Tidgy's Dad said:

I hope that you soon get back into the swing of it, but understand it can be difficult and take time.

I often can't get out of the house because of health problems which is also rather frustrating. 

Thanks, I hope you stay healthy so you can get to go out more. I'm finally cheering myself up, and making myself go outside now. Haha, I suppose some situations are what you make of it. 

• 1 month later...

After scribing away the rock this brach was encased in, I ended up using a small sewing needle to remove some shell and sure enough it has some nice spirals. I tried to get some pictures from different angles, but I may end up picking away some more shell to expose a better viewpoint in the future.

20200426_184338.jpg

20200426_184033.jpg

On 08/03/2020 at 11:26 PM, Jackson g said:

Another good day at the creek. :hammer01:

20200308_182408.jpg

I've just looked at this thread for the first time. Wonderful material, the brachidia are superb!:wub:

Tarquin