Jackson g

Pretty shells

FossilDAWG

:wub: :wub: :wub:

Don

Jackson g

Finished up this nice holocephalan tooth plate as well. Not going to lie, it was a nightmare cleaning this because these tooth plates are so dang fragile. I was afraid I would nick it, or that a sliver would pop off during scribe work. Glad that was not the case. I rarely ever get the chance to prepare a vertebrate fossil, so what should have taken me probably a hour, ended up taking me 3. 

Start: A huge Burlington slab of crinoidal limestone. Tooth plate partially exposed.

20200827_145018.jpg

Finished: Trimmed down substantially, and tooth plate further exposed. Any idea what I should label this @connorp? They all look so similar to my nooby eye!

20200907_212327.jpg

connorp
1 hour ago, Jackson g said:

Any idea what I should label this @connorp? They all look so similar to my nooby eye!

Heh, well they often are hard to discern for me as well. Could you post a couple more angles?

Jackson g
15 hours ago, connorp said:

Heh, well they often are hard to discern for me as well. Could you post a couple more angles?

Sure heres a few other angles I had saved on my phone. I can take more later on when I get home.

20200908_141513.jpg

20200908_141442.jpg

connorp

Hm. I am not sure on this one. @Archie

Misha

Beautiful tooth plate!

deutscheben

Nice crusher tooth! 

Jackson g

It's been a really good past 2 weeks for me out collecting Burlington material. I always have more fun and get the satisfaction I want when I'm out in the field fossil hunting, but that doesn't mean I should neglect my prep table of pretties! I did go out again today, but I'm now starting a goal of every time I go out to fossil hunt, I will grab something off the prep table to work on that same day. 

So I decided to grab this piece to work on, a brachiopod of course! 

20200913_215439.jpg

After some scribbles, I realized this steinkern had its shell intact like some other special brachiopods I've found in the area. I decided to flip it, and prep ventrally. This paid off. As prep went on, I also started to dissect shell very carefully from the brachiopod.

20200913_215942.jpg

20200913_183533.jpg

This is as far as I got to cleaning it up today. May leave it as is, not sure. Here it is after I ran it under some soapy water and let dry. My pretty is super sparkly, and no damage to the brachidium. I showed my father, he thought this was a normal geode. :ighappy:

20200913_210038.jpg

We shall see what gets cleaned next time. I can never get enough :brachiopod:

Tidgy's Dad

WOW! :brachiopod::default_faint::drool::envy:

Misha

Woah! That's huge

Do you know the id for it?

Jackson g
3 hours ago, Misha said:

Woah! That's huge

Do you know the id for it?

Spiriferella plena is a guess. It looks similar, and is from the lower Burlington. I haven't gone through to try and ID it yet, so I welcome any guesses. Finishing prep on it today after all, so I'll have a better photo of it uploaded as well later on.

20200915_171949.jpg

FossilNerd
On 9/15/2020 at 2:23 PM, Tidgy's Dad said:

WOW! :brachiopod::default_faint::drool::envy:

:DittoSign: