Pretty shells

Jackson g

On 9/12/2019 at 9:42 PM, FossilDAWG said:

I'm really impressed with the diversity and size of the specimens you are finding.  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Don

Thanks for the kind words Don. I'm happy to hunt down and share these wonderful brachs. :D For me personally, it goes to show that your common fossils can be just as nice and appealing as rarer finds.

20190914_051643.png

Where have I seen this image?  Wait, wait...dont tell me.  I just know I've seen this somewhere. ;)

20190914_051707.png

This looks kinda like a heart!

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice ones. I like the association piece - I guess any one of those corals, brachs and bryos would be worth collecting individually, but there they are all in one specimen! The productids are attractive too.

On 10/11/2019 at 9:05 PM, Wrangellian said:

Nice ones. I like the association piece - I guess any one of those corals, brachs and bryos would be worth collecting individually, but there they are all in one specimen! The productids are attractive too.

Yeah it's quite nice when you find a decent chunk to split and find all these together. Usually the brachs would be my favorite, but the corals in the associated piece are covered in druzy inside which is pretty cool. I lost a little bit of the bigger top coral when trimming up the rock. Unfortunate to lose a bit, but if not it wouldn't have revealed the cool looking inside.

45 Is a big boy at about 3 inches (7.5cm) across. I went in thinking I wouldn't find much today but I was sure wrong. A perfect split, but unfortunately with my sledge, backpack, and other equipment I could not manage to haul both halves back with me. The shell is coated in a lovely sparkly mineral.

20191014_190832.jpg

20191015_103511.jpg

46 Woke up and decided to prep for a few hours instead of go out and collect. I like prepping Burlington material like this because it's so easily workable unlike the harder cherty material. Heres a cool brach and Uperocrinus calyx association.

20191018_143009.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

• 2 weeks later...

Another quick distraction from brachiopods here. I'm working on some smaller ones today that I will share soon. Figured this is worth sharing, but either way I'm proud of this little size assemblage of steinkern crinoid calyxs that I believe are all the same species. These little guys are pretty rare to find in such good shape, especially due to the deposition, preservation, and amount of weathering the site these were found endures. These are all found inside pretty hard cherty/ limestone material. It's pretty intimidating stuff to prepare or work on without butchering, so I'm including top and side photos of a nice calyx example I've yet to prepare. The work pays off though!

20191027_134537.jpg

20191027_134340.jpg

20191027_134400.jpg

Do you keep the outer molds, like the one you sent me? I believe they will show different details (outer surface) than the inner steinkerns.

1 hour ago, Wrangellian said:

Do you keep the outer molds, like the one you sent me? I believe they will show different details (outer surface) than the inner steinkerns.

I keep most of the nicer calyxs I find. Truth be told I have so many smaller ones, I forgot which type I sent you. Heres some I found earlier today, and with my limited knowledge I believe the colorful ones are internal molds, and the drab browner ones being external.

20191027_215525.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Here's the big external mold you sent me. Not the best photo (from that shot I sent you for ID purposes).

You also sent me a small lighter-colored one similar to the one in the middle of your shot above.

WarsawFm mold.jpg

I'm not sure how you know if the colorful ones are internal and the drab ones external, but in a case like this one where the fossil itself has dissolved away and left a cavity, the outer mold will definitely show different details than the steinkern. I would try and keep the outer pieces as well as the steinkern, if you can split it apart without totally destroying the outer material, even if a little reassembly is needed!

calyx in matrix.jpg

8 minutes ago, Jackson g said:

I have been confusing myself here, they should all be external molds, no internal sorry. I don't think I have come across any internal molds.

All of your steinkerns are internal molds, assuming the fossil itself has dissolved away like it obviously has in this specimen. If you were to fill that space with something like plaster of paris, and then broke it out of the outer matrix, you would have a cast, a replica of the original fossil (with the steinkern/internal mold encased inside it), and it would have different details than the steinkern - the outer ornamentation as opposed to the body cavity that held the creature's soft anatomy.

• I found this Informative 1

Okay thank you for stating this in a clear, easy to understand way. I have clearly been confused on the differences of molds. This makes things a lot clearer for me at least.

1 hour ago, Wrangellian said:

All of your steinkerns are internal molds

Are not all steinkerns internal molds? I thought that I saw (an incorrect) definition of steinkerns as being something other than an interior mold.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

1 hour ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Are not all steinkerns internal molds? I thought that I saw (an incorrect) definition of steinkerns as being something other than an interior mold.

Yes they are, that's what I meant.

On 10/28/2019 at 12:59 AM, Wrangellian said:

Yes they are, that's what I meant.

Thanks again for clearing up molds to me, great to know. In the future if I find a new one to prepare, I may end up trying to fill in the mold with plaster, then prep out the calyx.

Probably my last update on this thread for a bit. The next few months I will be shifting my focus from brachs to trilobites once again! I may start a new one with just trilobite finds. I wanted to share the first cephalon I've ever found in my home territory though. I stumbled upon it a few days back, and looks like it just split off of a small chert nodule. Its partial, but is easily recognizable as a cephalon. I was very happy to find this as I've only found 3 pygidium molds so far at the location. 

20191103_061405.jpg

20191103_061809.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I'm very happy to share another golden treasure I just found. Wanted to find a pygidium or two, but within 5 minutes of looking in waist deep creek water the results are already paying off brachiopod wise. :D

20191126_161709.jpg