Pretty shells

Jackson g

8 hours ago, TqB said:

I've just looked at this thread for the first time. Wonderful material, the brachidia are superb!:wub:

Thanks for the kind words. I love sharing these amazing little critters :)

Going to try and tackle some more on the prep table with it being so nice out here in Missouri.

Starting with a nice little chunk of sparkly rugose coral and a platyceras gastropod. Unfortunately the gastropod is missing some shell on the front side.

20200505_152046.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Definitely not one of my prettiest examples, but here's another brachiopod with some nice crystalized lophophore preservation. Lucky enough, it was in 3 or 4 peices and I was able to find most of it but one little sliver. I still have some glue and chert to clean up on the backside, but still cool nonetheless.

20200509_164708.jpg

20200509_174129.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

On 5/9/2020 at 8:25 PM, Wrangellian said:

Love that blastoid! The others are all keepers too.

I would have to agree with you Eric, and it's not common to find nicer blastoids like that around here. It's on its way to a new home now! 

21 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Whose home - not yours??

Nope, I was lucky enough to do a trade with another member here recently. It's going to Portugal, and hopefully likes it's new home!

Been busy cleaning and finishing off some nice material lately. I was lucky to have my best friend acompany me on my last trip. I would say he's my good luck charm, as I found a nice variety that's cleaned up nice. Starting off with the shells, of course.

20200512_182753.jpg

By far the rarest find yet. A Paleostylus sp. gastropod, in a chunk of chert. I have only found 2 of these Mississippian gastropods to date. They seem pretty rare. Edit: After comparing with some literature, the only Osagian gastropod that seems to match this in the Burlington/Keokuk material is Bulimorpha elongata. (Hall, 1858)

20200512_131916-1.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Nice finds, as always. Congrats on the snail.. The rarities seem to make a collecting trip/effort so much more worthwhile.

Ooh, it looks like you banged your thumb! Ouch!

Well Portugal is not too shabby fossil-wise... sounds like you will be receiving some interesting goodies from there. If blastoids like that are not too uncommon in your area, could you put one aside for me if you find any more similar to that? Those look like something other than Pentremites, which seems to be the most common genus of blastoid available. Like a lot of people, probably, I've got several Pentremites but next to nothing of anything else. (I have some partial negatives in one of the pieces you sent me before, whichever taxon that would be)

:rolleyes:

Forsure the gastropod made my day! I did bang my thumb a bit too. It's been some time since I've been out hunting so being rusty, I got my thumb good lol. The main 3 genus I run into here are Pentremites, Schizoblastus, and Cryptoblastus. And of course, I can set aside one for you. I actually have another little yellow one I finished last month. The previously pictured yellow one is actually a Pentremites steinkern to my knowledge. The more common rounded/ circular are the Schizoblastus or the Cryptoblastus. I suppose to exact ID the more rounded species would be a task. I would lean more toward Schizoblastus, from looking at literature compared to the location. From what I understand besides outside features, you can identify them by making a horizontal cut on a specimen to visual the interior/ hydrospires. Unfortunately with these being steinkerns, they have nothing inside preserved. 

20200514_015348.jpg

The one you showed on March 18? I could be wrong but I thought the Pentremites tended to be rounder, or should I say squat and angular, as opposed to a rounded or elongated watermelon shape. I don't think I could tell the difference between Pentremites species if that's what they are. If you retain as much of the outer mold as possible, we'll have inner and outer features to help ID.

On 5/12/2020 at 9:34 PM, Jackson g said:

By far the rarest find yet. A Paleostylus sp. gastropod, in a chunk of chert. I have only found 2 of these Mississippian gastropods to date. They seem pretty rare. Edit: After comparing with some literature, the only Osagian gastropod that seems to match this in the Burlington/Keokuk material is Bulimorpha elongata. (Hall, 1858)

That’s a beauty! It came out if the matrix nicely. If I had the room in my display case, I’d keep the negative and show it off too. :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

8 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

The one you showed on March 18? I could be wrong but I thought the Pentremites tended to be rounder, or should I say squat and angular, as opposed to a rounded or elongated watermelon shape. I don't think I could tell the difference between Pentremites species if that's what they are. If you retain as much of the outer mold as possible, we'll have inner and outer features to help ID.

I'll ask the member I traded the blastoid to for a photo of the matrix with the impression whenever he receives it. I would tend to lean towards Pentremites elongatus. Some Pentremites can be a bit different looking. Here's a silicified example I found online that also occurs in the (pictured specimen from Arkansas) Burlington/Keokuk. Although it's a silicified example, not a steinkern. Similarities there, nonetheless. Photo credit: http://www.crinus.info/echinoderm/data/pent2.htm

20200514_114818.jpg

7 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

That’s a beauty! It came out if the matrix nicely. If I had the room in my display case, I’d keep the negative and show it off too. :) 

Thanks!!! No matter how odd of a find it is, I just can't get over the fossils covered in nice crystals!

Speaking of blastoids, here's one from the prep table I grabbed and finished up today. Forgot I had my own just waiting to clean up.

20200515_192128.jpg

I know this isn't a shell again, but definitely worth sharing and the backstory! I took my best friend to a great spot yesterday to hunt for fossil coral that i haven't visited in about 8 or 9 months. I have two buckets full of this geodized/silicified stuff I still need to clean, yikes! Now I'm working on even more. :rolleyes: Anyway, this morning after sifting through and soaking the haul, i noticed a nice natural slice of rugose. For some reason, I thought to myself to go check and compare it with some of my other natural slices of crystally rugose coral that I display on my TV stand. Sure enough, all this time later I found this one's counterpart. Not sure how I managed to get so lucky, but they are back together again with a perfect fit! Sometimes nature does all the work for you.

20200516_080123.jpg

20200516_080555.jpg

Couple of more cool finds from today. First is a nice brach that although is weathered, still displays nice spiralia. First pic is it in the matrix before removal.

20200517_200221.jpg

20200517_200454.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Another nice brachiopod that once prepped out of its matrix, had another surprise waiting for me. In my rush I did hit the tip of the top valve with my scribe. Glad I didn't ruin the backside. :)

20200517_200142.jpg

A nice geodized brach! It's hard to see, but it has some nice druzy quartz inside.

20200517_201554.jpg

• I found this Informative 2