Troodon

Came across this in my morning twitter readings and my jaw dropped.

Did you know that the name 'Bathygnathus' currently has priority over the name 'Dimetrodon' until an opinion on the reversal of precedence is published by International Commision on Zoological Nomenclature ( iczn.org/node/40573).  The application is currently in front of ICZN and research is underway to support the proper taxonomic identity of specimens.  From what I read its a very slow process but expected to support Dimetrodon.  Anyway about all I know so if anyone would like to add to this please do.

http://iczn.org/node/40573

The purpose of this application, under Article 23.9.3 of the Code, is to conserve the widely used generic name Dimetrodon Cope, 1878 (SPHENACODONTOIDEA, SPHENACODONTIDAE). The name Dimetrodon is threatened by its senior subjective synonym Bathygnathus Leidy, 1853. The name Dimetrodon has become widely accepted and is in prevailing usage. It is proposed that Dimetrodon be given precedence over Bathygnathus whenever these names are considered to be synonyms.

D2Chbs5VAAAoguC.thumb.jpeg.12de220f9c8018497310fc59aca5cede.jpeg

D2Ch6kRU0AA-dqf.thumb.jpeg.b67e45f905d5777892b828540eb96b2a.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

Ok I try it out “what are Bathygnathus sails for”, no I don’t like the latter name sounds  the best. :D interesting thank you  Frank

Interesting. This is one of those cases where the (now) junior synonym has been in use so widely and for so long that a special exemption to the normal rule of seniority needs to be adjudicated to preserve the widespread name from being usurped. At least the ICZN built in this method to make our lives a little easier.

Cheers.

-Ken

P.S.: "It'll always be Burma to me....."

I still use Ceylon. 

It's like the Brontosaurus thing all over again, they renamed it Apatosaurus, though, thankfully, it has returned for other species, but not the original type species.

People will always call it Brontosaurus, sometimes popular culture is more powerful than scientific logic or authenticity. 

In language, people force the changes, if everyone breaks the rules or uses a new word the language evolves to accommodate the usage of the majority. 

For me, It's Dimetrodon. 

And "Snickers" is "Marathon" in the UK! :ank:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Even if they decide not to use the name Dimetrodon, you'll still be hearing Dimetrodon for at least a hundred years. Brontosaurus was never really out of use even when it wasn't valid for over a hundred years. Dimetrodon is a very well known name. The general public won't care if it's not valid. Ditching such a well known name will only cause confusion in the long run.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

The real problem is that "Dimetrodon" is molded in tiny letters on the belly of those plastic models kids play with. Try convincing a 9 year old that's not it's name. Easier to convince a scientist to change convention.