Fake or Real Megalodon?

Zenmaster6

I work at a fossil and mineral store and they own a 3.5 - 4.0 inch megalodon tooth (the basal of the tooth is broken slightly but its still beautiful) The serrations are smooth but visible, the bourlette is defined and a darker color than the enamel. 

However I have my doubts about buying it. They went to a fossil show in Colorado years ago and bought it from someone at a stand (none of my employees or boss are "fossil savvy".)  
I'm worried about spending $ on a fake megalodon tooth.

I work this Saturday and will upload photos of me holding it from the case before I decide to buy it. I saw no seams on it from a possible mold but it just seems too cheap for the size. Its color is all black, which is a good sign but those can be easily faked too. 

I know, nobody can determine until I post a picture, However I did want to ask if there was any specific way people use to identify if a megalodon is fake or real? I heard megalodon teeth are cold to the touch and the plastics are slightly warmer. 

Plastics/ resins may tend to be slightly lighter in weight than something that has gone through permineralization.

3 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Plastics/ resins may tend to be slightly lighter in weight than something that has gone through permineralization.

True, but never having held a real megalodon tooth, its hard to tell how heavy it should be : C

EDIT: never having held a "fully intact" megalodon tooth

You may want to search a certain popular auction site online. It would help you set a benchmark on the relationship between price, size and quality. 

@Zenmaster6

Please refrain from posting prices and specific dealers per the rules of the Forum.  Thanks. ;)

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Will certainly need pics to help but if I were going to fake a Meg tooth I'd make it pretty, perfect and HUGE lol.... too common of a piece to make a medium sized one IMO  but you never know:) If there's so much as a ding in it it's more likely to be genuine I would think. It should like china or glass it tapped lightly with something hard.... When hunting if I doubt something I find I use my teeth or a ring as a quick guesstimator:D

• I found this Informative 1

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

5 minutes ago, jcbshark said:

When hunting if I doubt something I find I use my teeth or a ring as a quick guesstimator:D

Oh great, now I have to put my teeth in to go fossil hunting?! :P

• I found this Informative 2