First Trip to Ernst Quarries

thebluecatapilla

Hello all my fellow fossil lovers! This is my first post on here for a while, I've been lurking around and admiring everyones finds. But y'all have motivated me to actually get out and start hunting!

I will be driving up with my girlfriend from Los Angeles to Ernst Quarries in Bakersfield, CA on March 28th. For people who may not be familiar, this is part of the infamous Shark Tooth Hill, dated to the Miocene at 12-15 mya. It is a pay-to-dig site, and not too bad at $40 for a full day of digging. 

Is anyone on here planning on going that day or have been recently? How does the quarry look like after all the rain we have been having? 

Does anyone have any tips on what extra tools that are helpful to bring? From what I have read on here, a Pickaxe is helpful for exposing the bonebed. I will also be purchasing my first Estwing Geologic Hammer (the 22 oz with pick end) for the occasion and also to celebrate finishing my semester of Paleontology. Some brushes are also helpful for cleaning up the teeth in matrix too. Anything else that is suggested? 

Please feel free to share your Ernst Quarry experiences and advice, if you do feel so inclined :) I will update the thread with pictures of the results - hopefully we will be able to find some goodies ;) 

I live in San Diego and have thought about making the drive up there- I'd be interested to know conditions as well.  Thanks.

6 minutes ago, olorotitan said:

I live in San Diego and have thought about making the drive up there- I'd be interested to know conditions as well.  Thanks.

I will let you know how it goes!

If you have access to one, bring some sort of sieve and a shovel.  You can scoop up loose dirt and find lots of teeth in the screens.  

Have fun and good luck.