three toed horse tooth ID

garyc

Just cleaned up this tooth from my hunt the other day on the Brazos. I had thought it was a small equus tooth, there is definitely an isolated protocone. I know some of you like @Shellseeker and @Harry Pristisare pretty good at comparing these teeth to each other. I can look at them all day and they just start looking the same. Any ideas?

Also, I've seen some line drawings before on line that compared many of these horses all on one page, but can't locate it any more.  The only ones I can find now are not very clear. Does anyone have something like that they'd care to share?

DSCN0273.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

ooops, I meant to include measurements. I don't have calipers, but the best I can come up with is 46mm total length, 22.23mm crown length and 17.53 crown width. 

2 hours ago, garyc said:

ooops, I meant to include measurements. I don't have calipers, but the best I can come up with is 46mm total length, 22.23mm crown length and 17.53 crown width. 

1st, Thanks to Harry,  he is exactly right...

and figuring out what these are is close to impossible from a single tooth... or so Richard Hulbert tells me every time I ask. He runs a fossil Identification service that you also could use. To clarify the pedigree on my guesses.  I know more about small fossil horses that 99% of humans on the planet , and I also know FAR, FAR, FAR less than 1% of what Richard knows.. Maybe that is a hundredth or a Thousandth of what Richard knows.

I have no clue of which small horses existed in Florida AND Texas, Florida OR Texas, Any expertise I have is about Florida.

1) The occlusal surface is different based on where you slice the length.

2) In different species , the occlusal surface may look EXACTLY the same. The ONLY difference is the size.. I have a Nannippus with an occlusal size of 9x10 mm !!!!!! You have a tooth that is 22x17 === NOT Nannippus.

3) I have an Equus tooth (No isolated protocone) that is the same occlusal size as yours.

I think it is a Cormohipparrion! I know of 3, Emsliei, Plicatile, Ingennum. There maybe be many more in Texas. My Emsliei is 18x18 mm. My Ingennum (also in Texas) is 15x17. Richard told me that Plicatile is larger than either of the other 2.  I leave you to your own deductions...

If I were you , I would look up Richard Hulbert,  Fossil Identification Services UFMNH. You might find more small horse teeth.   Shellseeker

Reading:

1 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cormohipparion

2 http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/77503-5-pre_equus-horse-teeth/

• I found this Informative 2

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Thanks @Shellseeker! Great information and I definitely see some similarities.  I have had correspondence with Hulbert before and may just utilize his expertise as well and see if there is consensus. Sorry again we did not get a chance to meet a couple of weeks ago when I was in Florida.......next time for sure!

23 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Is this what you misplaced?

20190320_191022.png

Nope, but I like it! Thanks!

• I Agree 1