Pin vice recommendations + associated supplies

Kato

Okay, I may not have been particularly thorough in my searching the forum, but I read a lot about pin vice's and rarely see any photos of them.

I've accumulated enough material that I'd like to begin prepping&learning. I figure this will be one of those sideline hobbies whereby I can just pick and peck along in quiet solitude and hopefully fairly low expense as I build skills.

Would those who use pin vices recommend or post a photo with some dimensions of their vices? I'm sure this is one of those situations where they can be too small or too big.

Also, I have read about body piercing needles, hypodermic needles and sewing machine needles. Are there other such things I should be on the lookout for?

Thank you, Kato

Here is my pin vice. Pinvice.thumb.jpg.3b01a21b42446fc91f02c5f7d39afe7a.jpg

Kindly sent to me by the mighty @JohnBrewer

It came with a couple of pins included and later John sent me some more as mine were blunt, but one can resharpen them with wet emery paper / cloth or a sharpening stone. 

Pinvice1.thumb.jpg.76e2a1fdf323ee7bfd46ed3096285df9.jpg

One end of the pin vice takes these set sized pins, but will take pins from about 1.5 to 2 mm across. 

The other end takes smaller items like the sewing machine needles, ordinary sewing needles etc. I haven't tried the hypodermic needles yet but I hear they're excellent. 

Like my gold pins that have to be replaced every few minutes because they're too soft. 

5c93a269d74fe_GoldPins.thumb.jpg.71a0a94252426f606bbfee26ab0a197f.jpg

I have found the pin vice really helps a lot, it's made a massive difference to my prepping capabilities and speed. 

• I found this Informative 3

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Paleotools.com 

Has the carbide needles I use. Also pin vises (That's vise with an "s" not a "c" as an indicator of its bad habits. The price may be a little daunting for the needles.

• I found this Informative 5

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I use this set from the orange big box store LINK.

I have several different diameters of carbide rod that I cut to length and custom grind the tip depending on the application. I also use a large sewing needle in the smallest vise for really detailed stuff.

• I found this Informative 3

22 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

Paleotools.com 

Has the carbide needles I use. Also pin vises (That's vise with an "s" not a "c" as an indicator of its bad habits. The price may be a little daunting for the needles.

You're not joking. Those are very expensive! :o

And you're right about vice and vise. A bad habit I'm guilty of often. 

As is not closing ones parentheses. ;) 

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

33 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

As is not closing ones parentheses. 

I like to leave things open-ended; so that the reader's free will may determine the ultimate outcome. (Either that, or I'm lazy and careless.) (:))

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Thank you kindly! This gives me plenty of food for thought.

Vice versus vise...I occasionally suffer from a case of wordnesia or something similar. Sometimes the brain hiccups and says 'Nah that can't be correct' even on the easiest of words.

Definitely want this to be a vise and not an expensive vice.  

55 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

And you're right about vice and vise. A bad habit I'm guilty of often.

Technically speaking, @snolly50's only partially right. Traditionally, American English distinguishes between vise and vice but British English does not employ vise. :D

• I found this Informative 4

I've found that General Tools Pocket Scribe is helpful. 

0649883-23.jpg

They sell replacement tips that are cheap, ... that may work with a Pin Vise. 

61DO5ltOqOL._SL1500_.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

3 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Technically speaking, @snolly50's only partially right. Traditionally, American English distinguishes between vise and vice but British English does not employ vise. :D

Aha! 

I should have checked. 

It's a bad habit I shall stick with then. :)

Though i do think having the two different spellings is probably more sensible. 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Aha! 

I should have checked. 

It's a bad habit I shall stick with then. :)

Though i do think having the two different spellings is probably more sensible. 

We like to employ spellings from many different linguistic backgrounds.

It keeps "spell check" on its toes!

Aahhh.. but buying an inexpensive vise can turn into an expensive vice. Just ask the preppers.. :chuckle:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

5 minutes ago, daves64 said:

Aahhh.. but buying an inexpensive vise can turn into an expensive vice. Just ask the preppers.. :chuckle:

I've never heard a more accurate statement! Oh, the mounting costs driven by such a small tool.

41 minutes ago, caldigger said:

We like to employ spellings from many different linguistic backgrounds.

It keeps "spell check" on its toes!

I don't utilize a spellchecker, they drive me bonkers. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

Well, it is good to have an international flavor to these things...

Vice --- Vise

Aluminium  -- Aluminum

Sleeping policeman -- speed bump

Torch -- flashlight

Keeps one on their toes and learning.

Buy from a machinist supply company. Lufkin pin vice set of four. No. 197-S  or Starrette tools set. sorry new list for $98.28 U S. Sorry about the cost of #2 as I find things used. quality first.

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnpla/00327395?cid=ppc-google-New+-+Hand+Tools+-+PLA_ssNbvGTLw___164110844139_c_S&mkwid=ssNbvGTLw|dc&pcrid=164110844139&rd=k&product_id=00327395&gclid=CjwKCAjw7MzkBRAGEiwAkOXexAIxVhY655XixMgTqUC38BVrZj5bK_6KJmzJHyMD6CSiHHGzV8pLthoCc8AQAvD_BwE

12 minutes ago, Kato said:

Vice --- Vise

Aluminium  -- Aluminum

Sleeping policeman -- speed bump

Torch -- flashlight

I always thought it was strange that you could run over a police officer without any consequences. I like what they call them in Texas: speed cushions or speed pillows.

Pretty soon we will all be on the same page and not separated by a common language: the next TFF software update is turning everything into Esperanto. Speak your native tongue and it will quickly translate it into Esperanto. Text speak, Spanglish, Klingon, Nadsat: no problem. It even translates all 157 varieties of “like” in Valley Girl speak.

Most kidding aside, I sometimes use cheap or used dental tools to instead of vises.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

2 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

British English does not employ vise. 

Are you asserting the British are pro-vice? 

25 minutes ago, Bob Saunders said:

Buy from a machinist supply company. Lufkin pin vice set of four. No. 197-S  or Starrette tools set. sorry new list for $98.28 U S. Sorry about the cost of #2 as I find things used. quality first.

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnpla/00327395?cid=ppc-google-New+-+Hand+Tools+-+PLA_ssNbvGTLw___164110844139_c_S&mkwid=ssNbvGTLw|dc&pcrid=164110844139&rd=k&product_id=00327395&gclid=CjwKCAjw7MzkBRAGEiwAkOXexAIxVhY655XixMgTqUC38BVrZj5bK_6KJmzJHyMD6CSiHHGzV8pLthoCc8AQAvD_BwE

I bought the el cheapo set from the big box store for 1/2 the price of the "quality" set and have never had a single issue with them. I'm all for high quality tools but pin vises are rather basic and don't justify/require a superior quality tool  IMHO.

2 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

I always thought it was strange that you could run over a police officer without any consequences. I like what they call them in Texas: speed cushions or speed pillows.

Don't forget our very descriptive names for the half round lane dividers. The big ones are street turtles and the smaller ones can't be named on a family friendly forum such as this but the first word is city and the second one rhymes... :P

One you keep in a tool box and the other you keep secret. :whistle:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Paleotools also sells foam rubber sleeves that come in all sorts of colors.  I have about a half dozen pin vices laying around on my work desk, each with a different needle, or sharpened to a different point.  Each one has a different color sleeve on iit so I know what I am looking for and picking uip.  

I also like the chuck (the part that holds the needle ) to be hollow.  Some are not and that limits the length of needle you can put in there.  I think PaleoTools' chucks are hollow.  

On 3/21/2019 at 8:14 PM, Sagebrush Steve said:

I agree with @snolly50.  Here are the Paleotools products I use. Much superior to the sewing needles I used to use or the dental tools from Harbor Freight.

https://www.paleotools.com/pin-vise-and-needles

Interesting to see the Pin vice puffer. I have "if still working" a little on demand air pump for air brushes or engraving hand pieces. Runs when you press the units

button and off when released. can make my own version or tubing set up.   So far my microscope is limited to the kitchen counter,  and she wouldn't be happy.