Pin vice recommendations + associated supplies

Kato

On 3/23/2019 at 5:54 PM, Bob Saunders said:

Interesting to see the Pin vice puffer. I have "if still working" a little on demand air pump for air brushes or engraving hand pieces. Runs when you press the units

button and off when released. can make my own version or tubing set up.   So far my microscope is limited to the kitchen counter,  and she wouldn't be happy. 

An infant nasal aspirator is a cheap and effective dust puffer.

image.png.61487e026c1f9905ba732c0169405d41.png

I would not recommend employing a previously used one though... :P

• I found this Informative 1

I prefer lens cleaning brush/bulb.  Take off the brush and you have a great mini-blower... or as I call them, a great poofer.  I have found that with the baby ear cleaners, it is hard to keep it aimed at your work.  

bulb.jpg.0dbd7886f8053da1abcb17fc81913530.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

There’s a pin vice on the market that will connect to a compressor. Not too expensive if you already have a compressor. U.K. company and I don’t know if they ship overseas AD9182B9-1B62-498E-952D-A86B0B9A00FD.jpeg.c86688d4031c1aff6bce05628f093ccf.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2019 at 3:37 PM, JohnBrewer said:

There’s a pin vice on the market that will connect to a compressor. Not too expensive if you already have a compressor. U.K. company and I don’t know if they ship overseas

AD9182B9-1B62-498E-952D-A86B0B9A00FD.jpeg.c86688d4031c1aff6bce05628f093ccf.jpeg

So is the air just to blow away the dust or does it act like a mini scribe?  (Not a bad idea, maybe I should retreat to my lab for a few hours.)

A couple of times a year, I work with a couple of other preparators.  One thing I learned from them is making my own pin vise.  You take bits of both parts of 2-part epoxy putty and mix them together and then mold them into a shape comfortable for your fingers and then just insert the pin of your choice into the end.  You can make a few of them with different pin sizes.

• I found this Informative 3