Where are the best places to fossil hunt in New York?

emmag15

As the snow will start to clear soon, I’ve been looking into new places to hunt for fossils in New York!  If you have any suggestions I would love to hear them and visit them! Thank you in advance! :)

Edited by emmag15

This website is helpful when it comes to site info.  

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Depending on where you are there are excellent fossil collecting sites throughout New York State. The only areas that aren't good are the Adirondacks and New York City and Long Island. Neighboring states like New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Vermont have excellent sites too.

• I found this Informative 1

Big state. I would also say Penn Dixie if you are west or maybe Rickard Hill Rd in Schoharie if you are east. More sites in the Hudson Valley as well as the Finger Lakes.

• I found this Informative 1

I fossil hunt on 28 mile creek next to 28th creek rd.near kennedy n.y. and ellington n.y.  

12 hours ago, matthew textor said:

I fossil hunt on 28 mile creek next to 28th creek rd.near kennedy n.y. and ellington n.y.  

Ok so your out in WNY. You may be finding some upper Devonian rocks down there. Based on where you live I recommend penn Dixie 

If you're located somewhere near Syracuse I would recommend sites in Madison County- Deep Springs Road Quarry and Cole Hill which is south of Sangerfield. Those are two of the best sites in New York for Devonian fossils. 

• 2 months later...