Plas0417

So I searched through the forum for this and didn't really see what I was looking for. 

I'm newer to the forum as well as fossil hunting/collecting as a whole.

And I'm curious as to how you guys get permission to search on private property out of state. I like to travel here and there, and would like to make some trips to maybe explore and find some cool fossils in other states. But would hate to make a trip just to get denied access and end up wasting the trip. And I'm just wondering how others may go about it if they plan trips within areas of private property. 

That is a tough one.  However I have one suggestion.  Some states have made property records available online.  If you google for the "X county X state tax assessor's office" you might get a link to property records.  If you do, you will still need to have some information such as an address or owner's name to pull up the right parcel.  I have found that Google Maps sometimes gives me a street address.  For example, I'll look around an area with the satellite view, zoom in or even go to street view, and the street address (or a nearby address) will pop up.  Enter that in the property records and a plat and owner information should pop up.  You may have to search around of course but with persistence I've usually had success.  Then you have to find a phone number (which isn't on the tax records, but at least you have a name and address) or write an old-fashioned snail mail letter.

Some states of course have not digitized their property records.  In that case you might just have to knock on doors and risk being denied.

Good luck!

Don

• I found this Informative 3

Welcome to the Forum. :)

The Forum is a good place to meet people in other states, who may be willing to host you at a site they have permission to collect at, or point you in the right direction to get to good collecting sites. :)

Joining a local rockhounding group is another way to get access to other sites, sometimes in other states, to fossil hunt. 

Good luck. 

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Welcome to the forum from New York. As Fossildude19 has stated, the forum is a great place to meet people who may be willing  to help you. Stick around, participate on the forum, and build relationships with others.:)

• I found this Informative 3

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

1 hour ago, FossilDAWG said:

That is a tough one.  However I have one suggestion.  Some states have made property records available online.  If you google for the "X county X state tax assessor's office" you might get a link to property records.  If you do, you will still need to have some information such as an address or owner's name to pull up the right parcel.  I have found that Google Maps sometimes gives me a street address.  For example, I'll look around an area with the satellite view, zoom in or even go to street view, and the street address (or a nearby address) will pop up.  Enter that in the property records and a plat and owner information should pop up.  You may have to search around of course but with persistence I've usually had success.  Then you have to find a phone number (which isn't on the tax records, but at least you have a name and address) or write an old-fashioned snail mail letter.

Some states of course have not digitized their property records.  In that case you might just have to knock on doors and risk being denied.

Good luck!

Don

Sounds good! I guess I'll be doing some research then, thank you!

Definitely get to know the owners, and if you don't know, find the closest neighbors to the property and ask them. How I accessed the Missisipian site I hunted in Tennessee 2 weeks ago.

• I found this Informative 1

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.