Stegosaur Egg

Mericaman11

I have a possible dino egg that a friend gave me from Paonia Colorado and my guess is a stegosaurus because there are numerous stegosaurus bones in Colorado can someone please Identify this. Also the picture is not high quality.

15533484393482777308255018858855.jpg

Doesn't quite look like a fossil egg, but perhaps more pictures may be helpful. Focus on the exterior and photograph the "texture. The shell/rind seems too irregular to be a fossil egg, I'm afraid.

I've taken the liberty of splitting your post to a separate topic of its own rather than leave it in a thread dedicated to another topic. 

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Definatly not An dinosaur egg. The pictures are too bad but I don't think this is even a fossil.

Not an egg.

Also, I've never ever heard of Stegosaur eggs being found.

• I found this Informative 3

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

1 minute ago, LordTrilobite said:

Not an egg.

Also, I've never ever heard of Stegosaur eggs being found.

Really?

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Sorry to disappoint, but I agree - not an egg. No eggshell texture. Rind is much too thick, and wrong texture.

Looks like you have a Concretion.

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

13 minutes ago, Kane said:

Doesn't quite look like a fossil egg, but perhaps more pictures may be helpful. Focus on the exterior and photograph the "texture. The shell/rind seems too irregular to be a fossil egg, I'm afraid.

I've taken the liberty of splitting your post to a separate topic of its own rather than leave it in a thread dedicated to another topic. 

15533495423997473730593633610785.jpg

14 minutes ago, Kane said:

15533496107923476604787937981546.jpg

Please read through this post.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

23 minutes ago, Kane said:

Thank you for showing me that however I also think it is manufactured or something because there is is shiny and kind of plastic looking stuff around it.

14 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Please read through this post.

Tank you for you for showing that to me. That foes help with my problem.

Thanks for the additional pictures.  No sure what it is but it definitely is NOT a dinosaur egg.  Also, Stegosaurus material is extremely rare and no known egg or eggshell has been attributed to them.

When most eggs or eggshells are found, they are typically given the name of an ootaxon (naming the shell itself) rather than attributing it from a specific dinosaur since it is very rare to have eggs positively identified to a specific dinosaur.  To know shell is from a specific dinosaur, there needs to be an embryo that is identifiable in the egg.

• I found this Informative 2

2 hours ago, HamptonsDoc said:

Thanks for the additional pictures.  No sure what it is but it definitely is NOT a dinosaur egg.  Also, Stegosaurus material is extremely rare and no known egg or eggshell has been attributed to them.

When most eggs or eggshells are found, they are typically given the name of an ootaxon (naming the shell itself) rather than attributing it from a specific dinosaur since it is very rare to have eggs positively identified to a specific dinosaur.  To know shell is from a specific dinosaur, there needs to be an embryo that is identifiable in the egg.

What HamptonsDoc said is spot on @Mericaman11, and we have almost no eggs from the Jurassic either.  In your part of the state, western CO, there is Stegosaurus material such as plates and bones, but so far no one has found any eggs even from the larger group that Stegosaurus is within.