Florida Mammal Molar Tooth or Joint Bone?

Bronzviking

I found this bone on a Tampa Bay Beach, Florida and the next week I found an identical one but left it. When I first scooped it out of the water I thought it was a molar from a manatee. After looking at it I saw it didn't have a root and was it a joint bone? From the weight and color I think it's modern but curious to find out what I found and what animal. (ruler is in inches) Any help or ideas welcome and appreciated.

DSC08162.JPG

DSC08161.JPG

DSC08164.JPG

DSC08167.JPG

DSC08166.JPG

3 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Astragalus ?

That was my guess ankle bone, it looked similar to another find of mine. You think from a bovine?

Maybe a distal epiphysis from a metapodial.

• I found this Informative 2

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

That 1st pic sure looks like the bottom of an epiphysis. Maybe a small horse canon bone?

• I found this Informative 2

What ever it is I have a modern one similar enough to it to be reasonably sure it has relatives living in Maine. 

I found it while grading a gravel road in the spring. Coyote scat with bones in it is common on the road, so it would be reasonable to think it might be something preyed upon by them. 

• I found this Informative 1

16 hours ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

Maybe a distal epiphysis from a metapodial.

I agree.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Sorry to be a nuisance here @Harry Pristis but have I noticed an issue with the scale of the original post compared to the deer bone ?

Here is the deer reference I have on the left with epiphysis fully fused. On the right I'm thinking is an unfused epiphysis of an immature moose because of the relative size.

Wouldn't that make the scale of the bone in the post indicate a considerably larger animal ? 

IMG_4970a.jpg

IMG_4971a.jpg