Whale Ear Bone

TNCollector

I found this in a creek in the Charleston, South Carolina area where I often find sharks teeth and whale bones. I believe the site is Oligocene/Pliocene. If found anywhere else, I would have assumed it was a piece of gravel and tossed it, but it does look a little strange. Perhaps someone with more experience in the Cenozoic can help with the ID. The item is about 3 inches at its longest dimension. Like I said, I am thinking tumbled gravel on this one, but figured that I would check before throwing it in the garden.

IMG_1685.thumb.jpg.b256729a4b5cd2d2c3b417933699811f.jpgIMG_1683.thumb.jpg.9f8f030091884f61006f1b2007a74abb.jpgIMG_1686.thumb.jpg.e13779a13e97ecba8a0bbcb817240298.jpgIMG_1684.thumb.jpg.3a67c61093d166104d95ed03bd88ce3c.jpg

@ynot Yeah I think I am inclined to agree. It will make a good addition to the garden stones.

Thanks!

This is a highly waterworn periotic/petrosal of a baleen whale, and is possibly either a cetotheriid or a balaenopterid. The sulcus for the facial nerve canal is still evident, as is a bump called the lateral tuberosity, but the cochlear portion is broken and worn away.

• I found this Informative 6

3 hours ago, TNCollector said:

@ynot Yeah I think I am inclined to agree. It will make a good addition to the garden stones.

Thanks!

Should have waited for Boesse first.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

2 hours ago, Boesse said:

This is a highly waterworn periotic/petrosal of a baleen whale, and is possibly either a cetotheriid or a balaenopterid. The sulcus for the facial nerve canal is still evident, as is a bump called the lateral tuberosity, but the cochlear portion is broken and worn away.

Thanks! Glad that I kept it and didn't toss it. This is the third one that I have found at this location.

1 hour ago, ynot said:

Should have waited for Boesse first.

Luckily I didn't throw it out yet! 

Based on the size and shape, I thought it could go either way. So I was either right or wrong. I feel half as good as I could about that. Congratulations to the OP for not tossing it yet. Cheers.

2 hours ago, MrR said:

Based on the size and shape, I thought it could go either way. So I was either right or wrong. I feel half as good as I could about that. Congratulations to the OP for not tossing it yet. Cheers.

Thanks! Sometimes picking up things that may or may not be a fossil turns out to be a good call, especially when collecting in areas that I am not very familiar with.