ethos23

Hi everyone,
I found what I think are a lumbar vertebra and an astragalus bone. I'm not sure how old they are, but they both seem pretty weathered and possibly mineralized. Both appear to be from bovids(?). These were found on a river sandbar around Ames, IA after recent spring flooding. Does anyone know how to distinguish bison from cattle bones? 

The vertebra is 35 cm wide, 10 cm long, and 8 cm tall. The astragalus is 7.4 cm long, 5.5 cm wide, and 4 cm deep.

nSyblZ7.jpg

vu0oyvt.jpg

jttoku0.jpg

jV0sZ3J.jpg

9CbJfYp.jpg

Y0Xt2is.jpg

Edited by ethos23

I'm not a vertebrate guy and don't know much about these pieces, but I wanted to welcome you to the forum and say that these are nice finds! Someone will come along shortly and help you out for sure!

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

I can't say I remember all the indications that @Harry Pristis has given us, but comparing it to the one I have that I believe to be from a Bison I think the astragalus is from a Bos (cow).

The difference in height between the right and left lobes of the pulley structure I think is an essential aspect. Bison having a more pronounced 'tilt'. Cows having a more generally squareish profile.

11 hours ago, ethos23 said:

Hi everyone,
I found what I think are a lumbar vertebra and an astragalus bone. I'm not sure how old they are, but they both seem pretty weathered and possibly mineralized. Both appear to be from bovids(?). These were found on a river sandbar around Ames, IA after recent spring flooding. Does anyone know how to distinguish bison from cattle bones? 

The vertebra is 35 cm wide, 10 cm long, and 8 cm tall. The astragalus is 7.4 cm long, 5.5 cm wide, and 4 cm deep.

jV0sZ3J.jpg

I am not sure about the vertebra, but the astragalus is bison.

bison_bos_astragalus.JPG.42a6773c2d104d4c23a0bf995ef8b78c.JPG

bison_bos_astragalusB.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

:shakehead:  Back to the drawing board for me.

Seems I need to get mine checked when I get the time.

• 2 weeks later...