Alien footprint lol??

FossilNoob6969

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Interesting! What is the scale and age of it?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

1 hour ago, Auspex said:

Interesting! What is the scale and age of it?

Tags say Devonian but I couldn’t tell you the scale.:ighappy:

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

The tags are great for the search function, but in practice are often not noticed by those considering an ID.
Size (or something internationally recognized for scale), location, and age should be repeated in the body of an ID inquiry. ;)

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

31 minutes ago, Auspex said:

The tags are great for the search function, but in practice are often not noticed by those considering an ID.
Size (or something internationally recognized for scale), location, and age should be repeated in the body of an ID inquiry. ;)

I agree. Repeating that amount of information isn’t time intensive and helps out those of us with bad eyes or scattered brains or both. I’ve skipped over the tags many times because they’re so unobtrusive. Maybe if they were bright neon colors, I would notice them more often. :default_rofl:

Edited by UtahFossilHunter
Grammar

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

3 minutes ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

Maybe if they were bright neon color would I notice them more often.

I think the advertising kingdom has desensitized a lot of us to things that are designed to make us take notice.  

10 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

I think the advertising kingdom has desensitized a lot of us to things that are designed to make us take notice.  

Perhaps you’re on to something there. It certainly wreaks havoc on my scattered brain. :hearty-laugh: Anyway, I agree with the sponge ID. 

Wow! There's a lot going on on that piece! I see a number of brachiopod imprints, some fenestellid bryozoan, and possibly some crinoid parts. The long cast on the right is very intriguing and I'm not sure what it is. If this was found in the Newburgh area it might be lower Devonian Schoharie Limestone (It looks like it to me.) which was carried from the Helderberg Plateau by a glacier. That formation is very rich in a wide variety of nautiloids, so I wouldn't rule out a nautiloid. Do you have more of that kind of rock?

• I found this Informative 1

3 hours ago, Kato said:

I'm following this...but please help me. Is the area in red what you are asking about?

I think that it is, but I'm unsure of the sponge possibility. :headscratch:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library